Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Borrego
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see how everyone else is doing with their Borrego for gas mileage.
Yah I know I am probably the only one out there with the K&N filter I also added the Tornado to the Air intake tube which fit perfectly, which I took from my 2007 2.7 liter V6 Hyundai Santa Fe in case anyone wants to order a tornado for your Borrego the same tube diameter as my Santa Fe I had.

I saw a posting saiying you have to get about 20,000 miles before you get any good gas mileage. For the miles I have on my Borrego I wonder if I am doing better or just average despite my attempt to accessorize with K&N and Tornado. I am doing city and highway combined. One thing for sure is that the engine feels like I am getting alot of torque and horsepower... but wait that probably is a big step for me to go from 2.7 to a 3.8.....I thought I would put it out there just to get some opinions good or bad. :cool:

IMG00026.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6; 2014 Forte EX fully loaded
46 Posts
I keep track of my mileage at every fill-up. I've been getting approx 18.5 mpg with my V6. I am planning on getting the K&N because I've had great success with it in the past. I've also had the Tornado too, but didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
Borrego
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep track of my mileage at every fill-up. I've been getting approx 18.5 mpg with my V6. I am planning on getting the K&N because I've had great success with it in the past. I've also had the Tornado too, but didn't notice any difference.
Thank you for your reply. I will keep track and hopefully in a couple of months I will try to update this post with a status of improved gas mileage. Maybe since I am getting only 16 mpg I might need to wait for everything to be broken in.
Thanks again for your reply.

·
Premium Member
2009 Borrego
320 Posts
Last time I checked it via the fill-up method, I was just over 19. Haven't checked it in awhile though.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 Diesel 6spd, 1998 VW New Beetle Turbo Diesel 5spd
47 Posts
We're getting between 18 and 20 mpg (Imperial Gallons), last hand calc was a bit over 20 with mostly highway driving at 110kph. We do use Royal Purple oil, can't say just yet if it makes any significant difference in fuel economy. Considering our last people mover was a 2003 Grand Caravan that was getting between 22 and 27 mpg with 180,000kms. We're happy with the mileage our Borrego is getting considering the big bump in HP (100HP over the Caravan) not to mention the all wheel drive. I'm hoping for mid 20's after everything is broken in.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I only have 5800 miles on mine and I am averaging ~17mpg in mixed driving here in Atlanta (lots of traffic, not to mention, left lane morons).

·
Registered
09 Borrego, 911RS, 1198, TZ125
23 Posts
I keep track of every fillup too. I've got a 20 mile trip to work, 7 mi rural 45mph, 8 mi highway 65 mph, 5 mi city. 22,000 miles winter average 16.4 mp us gal, summer 18.4.

Best ever highway mileage 23.5 mi per us gal, summer trip.

full time 4 wheel drive, all stock.

·
Registered
Kia Mohave EX 3.8, Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 2006 and and a Citroen C3 1.4
134 Posts
I just calculated mine, since i had to convert it from litres for 100 km to miles per galon. And since i am quite a punchy driver i just calculated i am averaging 12.4MPG :O Also i am stuck in lots of congestions idling, and when the weather is hot and my sister watches a movie i sometimes leave the car idling so the A/C can work. But i have to admit that i push the car. I like to punch it everytime i take off a traffic light. Sometimes up to 6000 RPM.

·
Registered
Borrego
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just calculated mine, since i had to convert it from litres for 100 km to miles per galon. And since i am quite a punchy driver i just calculated i am averaging 12.4MPG :O Also i am stuck in lots of congestions idling, and when the weather is hot and my sister watches a movie i sometimes leave the car idling so the A/C can work. But i have to admit that i push the car. I like to punch it everytime i take off a traffic light. Sometimes up to 6000 RPM.

Keep us up to date whether your headgasket stays together.
My first car was a 93 cavaleir 4 door and I was a teenager with a new car.
4 cyl. headgasket went 4 times... no fun burning rubber smell in the car.
I think pushing it hard contributed so every car after that I have been a little more relaxed on my equipment.
Take care and hope all is well.... but wait Kia has 100,000 miles on their warranty so punch on bro.....

·
Registered
Borrego
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW talk about homework.... Thanks for the detail. 12.4 I bet that was an eye opener :rolleyes:
I discovered the real time monitoring of gas mileage anyone else discover that? I love coasting off the interstate down a ramp and watch the real time monitoring MPG to up to 99.99 MPG... yah my Borrego gets 99.99 MPG idling rolling down hill....:D Have fun MPG should stand for Might possibly get on the sticker.... all told I hope to real time monitor myself and retrain myself to drive like that Bully Dog trainer does that they advertise on the show "Trucks". Take care everyone...

·
Registered
Borrego
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep track of every fillup too. I've got a 20 mile trip to work, 7 mi rural 45mph, 8 mi highway 65 mph, 5 mi city. 22,000 miles winter average 16.4 mp us gal, summer 18.4.

Best ever highway mileage 23.5 mi per us gal, summer trip.

full time 4 wheel drive, all stock.
WOW 23.5 MPG that is great!!!!
Sounds like you do alot of driving every day.
Great advertisement for the Borrego as a daily driver.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
Borrego
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last time I checked it via the fill-up method, I was just over 19. Haven't checked it in awhile though.

19 is good... I find it funny that when my wife drives the Borrego the mileage goes up but when I drive it goes down. Think I might have to watch her to see how she drives....

·
Registered
Kia Mohave EX 3.8, Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 2006 and and a Citroen C3 1.4
134 Posts
Keep us up to date whether your headgasket stays together.
My first car was a 93 cavaleir 4 door and I was a teenager with a new car.
4 cyl. headgasket went 4 times... no fun burning rubber smell in the car.
I think pushing it hard contributed so every car after that I have been a little more relaxed on my equipment.
Take care and hope all is well.... but wait Kia has 100,000 miles on their warranty so punch on bro.....
Well i don't punch it like so much..... I just like to accelerate quickly. But i think my mileage falls because the car idles a lot in traffic jams and on parking lots. and the A/C is always on. But why do i care. Petrol's cheaper than a bottle of water here. :D OMG i can't believe i am such a waster here. In my country i drive a Diesel Audi A4 2007. I am very careful there because diesel costs me 2 Euros per liter....GEE. Here in Kuwait the petrol is 15 Euro cents per liter.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
205 Posts
I am averaging 18mpg - wish I could get to the 20 mark, but eh - I love the truck too much to change :)

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I have been getting around 17-18 combined, but I just had my transmission ECM reflashed and hopefully that will help a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MOHAVE EX V6 4x4 Fuel Consumption.

Hi all, I have a new MOHAVE EX V6 4x4 2009 3.8, I'm wondering about the fuel consumption, last time (and first time :D) fill up it took around 73 Liter (Octane 95), the trip computer "Distance to empty" reading was around 592 KM, is it acceptable? what about the accuracy of the trip computer readings?

By the way "Average fuel consumption" displays around 13.6L/100KM for highway driving on speed around 100KM/Hour.

Since I have this car since only 3 days, I need to know if those readings are accurate or not?!!

appreciete your help...

·
Registered
09 Borrego, 911RS, 1198, TZ125
23 Posts
Distance to empty is "best mileage scenario". You could acheive this but it takes a gentle foot and not many hills. I've done over 600 but that was ideal conditions. It's most likely you'll vary between 450 + - winter to 575 summer.
I've checked the l/100 and the guage is deadly accurate. (reset it every fillup)

·
Registered
2009 V6 Borrego - 2013 VW Passat
2 Posts
Hi everyone.

A relatively new owner here. My wife and I bought our LX V6 a few months ago and are really liking it so far. Only thing is the gas mileage in ours. I reset the trip computer every time I fill it up and maybe get 200-230 miles per tank and that seems very low! Anyone have ideas as to what might be going on? Any recommendations on things to try before I take it to a mechanic?

My wife drives it around town mostly, running errands, taking kids to school but she's a pretty conservative driver.

Thank you,
Thom

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX | 2009 Borrego EX (gone)
205 Posts
Hi everyone.

A relatively new owner here. My wife and I bought our LX V6 a few months ago and are really liking it so far. Only thing is the gas mileage in ours. I reset the trip computer every time I fill it up and maybe get 200-230 miles per tank and that seems very low! Anyone have ideas as to what might be going on? Any recommendations on things to try before I take it to a mechanic?

My wife drives it around town mostly, running errands, taking kids to school but she's a pretty conservative driver.

Thank you,
Thom
If your wife drives like mine, fast stop and go, then I would not be surprised to see you get 230~ non-highway mileage. I only get 18mpg on the highway and I drive pretty smooth so I could see 11-13mph if it is city with a lot of stop and go, plus a lead foot driver.

·
Registered
2009 V6 Borrego - 2013 VW Passat
2 Posts
Thanks for the info Ed.

My wife tends to be a pretty conservative driver so it;s hard to think that we would be down about 100 miles per tank than where we should be.

I just saw this and it made think that even though the Borrego doesn't fall under this lot of vehicles, it may be worth looking into.

https://kiampginfo.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts