Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been having problems under the dash with the AC. The cold air only blows out of the defrost vent. I took it to a KIA dealer today and they diagnosed it as "AC blower door actuator is inop" They want $209 to fix it. Is there any way I can fix it myself and save money?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
Buy the part, and replace it yourself.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi tysinbad, thanks for the reply. I would do that but I don't even know where it is located. I'm timid about opening the dash because of the air bag. If someone can help me locate it, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone, I've got the part out. It's simple. You can get to it through the crash panel under the steering wheel. The new part is on order from a KIA dealer for $80.56. It will be here Wednesday. In the meanwhile my air is blowing cold from the front vents.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
304 Posts
So pretty easy then?

Big difference on the dealer price too!

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far so good. My only concern is how to align the cam with the splines.:eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have you taken a look at www.kiatechinfo.com? It has electronic workshop manuals for all Kia vehicles. You will have to register if not already.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
my experience with this is that the actuator is not bad at all, simply a piece of the linkage pops out of a groove on the cam on the actuator. Mine does it three or four times a year. It is located under the dash, on the drivers side, and can be seen from the drivers floorboard, looking under the dash like you were trying to see the back of the radio. There is a little square box there with wires plugged in to it, and a big cam attached. There will likely be a little round rod with a bend on the end, dangling sort of. Just pop this back into the groove, and away you go. It will likely come out again one day. If the actuator cleck-click-clicks, it is about to pop it out again. I usually leave the control in one level above straight dash control, and it seems that once the air gets nice and cool, it will go in to dash mode. It may work like that for some time, and then one day, click. I have replaced the actuator and it did not make it stop, but this is a real fix here. You may have to remove the little duct that dumps air onto the drivers feet, to access the actuator. It simply pops out and can easily be reinstalled with no tools. I have actually pulled over on the side of the road and put the linkage back in the cam before. It is that quick and easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my experience with this is that the actuator is not bad at all, simply a piece of the linkage pops out of a groove on the cam on the actuator. Mine does it three or four times a year. It is located under the dash, on the drivers side, and can be seen from the drivers floorboard, looking under the dash like you were trying to see the back of the radio. There is a little square box there with wires plugged in to it, and a big cam attached. There will likely be a little round rod with a bend on the end, dangling sort of. Just pop this back into the groove, and away you go. It will likely come out again one day. If the actuator cleck-click-clicks, it is about to pop it out again. I usually leave the control in one level above straight dash control, and it seems that once the air gets nice and cool, it will go in to dash mode. It may work like that for some time, and then one day, click. I have replaced the actuator and it did not make it stop, but this is a real fix here. You may have to remove the little duct that dumps air onto the drivers feet, to access the actuator. It simply pops out and can easily be reinstalled with no tools. I have actually pulled over on the side of the road and put the linkage back in the cam before. It is that quick and easy.
Tinman 1 is it possible to attach a photo or a small video to see where exactly is located the actuator-cam and the rod that needs to be inserted back into the groove? Thank you!

·
Registered
2009 Sportage V6 4WD
67 Posts
Hi Tinman, I'm having issues getting the blower piece off for the feet so I can see the actuator. Is there clips I have to take off for it to come out?

Also a video or picture would be awesome please as I'm having this issue now for months!

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
1,138 Posts
@bbrain017 - Did you happen to notice Tinman's last post is just shy of 2 years old?

And he hasn't logged on to this forum in almost a year.

Probably oughta take note of a post's date before replying in the future. ;)

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,854 Posts
@bbrain017 - Did you happen to notice Tinman's last post is just shy of 2 years old?

And he hasn't logged on to this forum in almost a year.

Probably oughta take note of a post's date before replying in the future. ;)
No problem with that, particularly when useful information is added that could help others some time in the future when searching for a solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just what I was looking for

Don't worry about tinman1..I have been trying to find out the very same information for the longest..Thank you very much for providing it bbrian017, get you a beer for that one.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am the one who started this thread a few years ago and even though I replaced the actuator, the symptom came back again. I didn't think I had time to mess with it so I took it to my KIA dealer and asked them to give me an estimate. Well, they don't just GIVE estimates, the charge $110. for an estimate. Well, imagine my surprise when the estimate came. $1744.31

No, I'm not kidding. Here is a copy of the estimate. Needless to say, I'm under the dash now. My assembly is not the same as bbrian017 so It is not as simple. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Scan_Doc0015.pdf.jpg

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,496 Posts
Hi looking at my Tucson information I see there are three possible units you may have fitted all look fairly similar in diagram but not as easy as the one shown.
It is not a common occurrence and is making me wonder why it should happen.
Is something jamming doors ? glass or other bits dropped into vents.
Or is cooler icing up because on recycle is set for too long. causing doors to jam.
If you have Hyundai Tucson dealers they are the same parts the numbers vary to the type of Hyundai unit is fitted to your Sportage You may get better deal there.

Jeff

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Jeff.G. Well, I spent about four hours on it yesterday without results. I can't even get the vent out. Last time this happened I worked on it for days. Maybe I'll post some pictures of the assembly to see if anyone can offer some suggestions.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just dropped it off at the Hyundai dealer and they said they would fix it for $200. We'll see how they make out.

·
Registered
2008 KIA Sportage
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Hyundai dealer fixed it (sort of) :) The sort of part comes in where the clicking is stopped unless you change the setting on the dial. After you change the setting, it clicks for about 30 seconds and then stops. They stuck to their estimate and charged $207.00. I can live with the occasional clicking for that price which is better than the $1700.00 that the KIA dealer wanted.

Thanks Jeff.G for your suggestion. I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts