Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
Its been several years since I've been on this forum. My Spectra5 hasn't given me too many DIY problems that I couldn't fix w/o getting info from you kind knowledgeable people on this forum luckily. Recently, I was driving and the car seemed to have lost all power while accelerating from a stop. In fact, while going up a fairly steep incline, I had to have to gas pedal floored just to keep going. I stopped in the nearest parking lot and with the car running, opened the hood and saw no obvious issues with belts, fluids, etc. And there was no check engine light. I drove a bit further and tried to go a bit faster. I noticed the car wouldn't shift up to normal 4th gear. I believe that maybe 3rd was the highest it would go. I stopped again and turned it off. Once I restarted the ignition, the Check Engine light was now on. I managed to get it to Autozone to pull the code. The attached is what they gave me. Basically, its P0700, P0760, P0700, P0760. The most probable issue is the transmission harness from what the code says. Then next down the line could be the less probable transmission solenoids. I did alot of searching on the web for the Spectra and see alot who have had this same problem. The best one I found (and with the fix link included is shown below). The problem is that this thread is several years old so I didn't know if I should reopen that thread with my issue. After having the code pulled at Autozone, I restarted the car and it was back to normal for driving! The light went off the next day too oddly enough. I have since driven it maybe a few miles back and forth to nearest store etc and it has been fine. But I am afraid to drive it back and forth to work (12.5 miles each way) for fear that it may go into limp mode again. From the link below, it seems most probably that a solder joint may have gone bad with these cheap Chinese made wire harnesses. I'd be up to venture and try and resolder a joint that may have gone bad but with everything apart in the trans at that point, I'd feel more comfortable to just go ahead and replace the entire transmission wire harness. But I had no luck at all finding the proper stock # for this transmission wire harness for my 2008 Spectra5 SX. I may even have to buy the harness and have my local garage install (but they hate to install something that I bought obviously so it would be more $).
Oddly enough I want to mention that the day that this limp mode issue occurred, I poured a few ounces of Sea Foam into the engine oil. I don't know how this could affect the transmission fluid but thought I'd mention it.
At this point, the car is only worth 900 trade in and that is in working condition w/o issues. If they see that it has a trans problem by pulling up the history codes prior to trade in it will be worth nothing and I just put 1500 into it last year w/ new radiator, water pump, belts, etc. So I'm looking for any advice from you experts and my next step.
Thanks in advance for your kindness.

link to pertinent issue that I have I believe:
https://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-2003-2008-spectra5-2004/72381-2006-spectra-p0750-p0765-p0755-p0760-2.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Have you ever replaced the trans. oil AND filter? How many miles are on the car now? Trans codes can be triggered if ENGINE is running to poorly even from an intermittent time. What maint. has the car had?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. I forgot to mention that I have NEVER replaced either the trans fluid or the filter in the transmission. Sorry, I know that this is very important to mention, but it slipped my mind. The car has about 125k on it. Its had regular maintenance I believe except for the changing of trans fluid and filter. I thought the manual had said at 100k to change but have since heard that it should be every 30k. I was thinking of just having the fluid changed at a garage but wasn't sure if 100 for the fluid would fix the issue for where I'm at now. I had the car from new, replaced oil/filter every 3k. Plus air filter regularly. And had the radiator flushed once at about 50k I think. Had all belts replaced last year, new radiator, new water pump and hoses also. And put new spark plugs and ignition coil on a few months ago. Was running / idling great up until this issue.

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello again. I made an appointment to have the transmission fluid changed for starters (as mentioned, I never had it changed and it has over 125k on it). I doubt that is causing the limp mode issue but for starters, the fluid should be changed anyways. The mechanic asked me on phone (when I was making the appt) if the trans had an internal filter. I didn't know that. Do you guys know?
Also, if it would require a transmission wire harness, does anyone have the part # for this cable? I've seen a few recent threads for these codes but nothing that mentioned replacing the whole harness or a part #, only resoldering which may only get the most probably solder joints that may be gone bad, but not all along length of cable.

Any advise is appreciated :)
Dave

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
One of the worst things that can happen to an older transmission is to have a power flush done, which stirs up all of the nasty bits of crud that have found permanent homes in the internal nooks and crannies inside of the tranny case. Yes, this shop might be capable and willing to do a less aggressive fluid transfer process, using the vehicle's own pump, but you don't know that unless you stand there looking over his shoulder.

So I strongly recommend that you tell the shop to change the fluid by doing only 2 drain-and-fills, and also not mess around with the filter. This is the most benign action that can be taken with transmission fluid, and it's very effective in swapping out the old fluid with the least disruption possible. It's also less expensive than the other methods, which is certainly a consideration for you. Doing this will tell you very quickly if the fluid was the issue that caused the codes to be set. If this mechanic won't do drain-and-fills, then find someone else who will.

Regardless of what you read, the wiring harness is usually the last thing to go bad. If the fluid swap doesn't bring any joy, then do not replace the wiring harness, or hang on any other parts without first trying to diagnose the actual problem.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hello again. I made an appointment to have the transmission fluid changed for starters (as mentioned, I never had it changed and it has over 125k on it). I doubt that is causing the limp mode issue but for starters, the fluid should be changed anyways. The mechanic asked me on phone (when I was making the appt) if the trans had an internal filter. I didn't know that. Do you guys know?
Also, if it would require a transmission wire harness, does anyone have the part # for this cable? I've seen a few recent threads for these codes but nothing that mentioned replacing the whole harness or a part #, only resoldering which may only get the most probably solder joints that may be gone bad, but not all along length of cable.

Any advise is appreciated :)
Dave
Yes it has an internal filter, just drop the trans pan and 3 machine screws hold it in place to the Valve body. AND I STRONGLY disagree with you member Kiaguy002 about NOT changing the filter! But do agree with you about NOT doing a "power flush" type fluid change.
From there get a good scan done on the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys! I'll tell the mechanic to do a simple drain and fill on fluid. He did tell me this morning that he doesn't have the equipment to do a flush anyways and will only do the drain/fill. I'll have him also drop the pan and replace the filter (since it can't be much and would at least rule out another thing that could be wrong). Hopefully this MAY fix my issue (crossing my fingers). The car's been reliable over the years until this. I'm afraid to drive it even though the CE light went off and car once again has full power. Something caused it and its only a matter of time before it happens again.

Do you guys both agree that putting the Sea Foam in the crankcase was just a coincidence that the LIMP mode happened that same day?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
... I STRONGLY disagree with you member Kiaguy002 about NOT changing the filter! ....
I knew my advice on not changing the filter would probably draw one or more rebukes, however it was given based on everything that the OP wrote. He said that the symptoms and codes have disappeared, which makes it less likely that a clogged filter is the root cause of his vehicle's problems, because a filter is generally not going to un-clog itself.

The OP also mentioned cost as a big consideration, and possibly even bailing out on this vehicle if necessary. So changing the filter would probably be quite a bit more because, as always, time is money. I really don't think this is primarily a fluid-based issue, but a couple of drain-and-fills can't hurt anything, and also shouldn't be a bit hit to his wallet.

I'm not suggesting that changing the filter is not a good general maintenance practice, just making a recommendation based on the details of this one specific case. JMO, and the OP will make his choice based on taking everyone's input into consideration.

EDIT: I see from a subsequent post that the OP has already decided, so no problem with that.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The cost of oil alone to do 2 drain and fills would more than double the cost of a $10.00 filter to just drop the pan and change the filter and put in the approx. 4 quarts of the proper(expensive) trans fluid. It is a part of good and NORMAL maint. at this mileage anyway.
And as I previously posted, That from the report of POWER LOSS that an engine system malady was strongly suspect to cause the limp mode, and suggested that a scan be done to find the actual cause.
To the OP ...Good luck with your ride and I hope all works out well for you and the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good input guys. I made an appt. for have the trans fluid drained/filled and also the filter as mentioned previously. I bought a filter and gasket kit from Autozone last nite. I don't believe I need the gasket though (even though it came with the filter) right? This is only for dropping the pan and I don't think this needs to be done just to change out the filter. Please advise. Cya and have a nice weekend gents.
Dave

https://www.autozone.com/filters-and-pcv/transmission-filter-a-t/duralast-transmission-filter-a-t/555510_0_0_201451

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thanks for all the good input guys. I made an appt. for have the trans fluid drained/filled and also the filter as mentioned previously. I bought a filter and gasket kit from Autozone last nite. I don't believe I need the gasket though (even though it came with the filter) right? This is only for dropping the pan and I don't think this needs to be done just to change out the filter. Please advise. Cya and have a nice weekend gents.
Dave

https://www.autozone.com/filters-and-pcv/transmission-filter-a-t/duralast-transmission-filter-a-t/555510_0_0_201451
Good choice to replace the filter...AZ prices are a little high, but that is how they stay in business. Yes you need to drop the pan, as I stated that before, it is "gasketed" from the factory with RTV sealant so you'll need some thin tool (like a paint scrapper) to break the seal. It isn't a difficult job at all to do, but do suggest that you have the front end up on ramps for working underneath.
Good Luck!;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a followup to my issue with the LIMP mode on the transmission. I took your advice and ONLY had the transmission fluid changed, as well as the transmission filter at my local garage guy. I had nothing else done to the vehicle. I am now a little over 600 miles with no issues with the CE light or the transmission problems so not sure if it was a fluke or what but the fluid was never changed and the car has 125k on it. So if anyone has a similar situation, before you mess with the transmission harness looking for bad solder joints (as I read on here and was ready to have done myself), start with the obvious first. Cya all and thanks again for the good info.
Dave

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Glad to hear that all seems well! Our 09 Spectra is doing quite nicely at higher miles than yours!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts