Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost belt (alt,water pump & Pwr Steering) engine overheated and not start. Replace belt, inspected TB, checked spark and compression. All okay except there is no compression on any cyl. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Number of cams

I have a 2008 kia spectra ex with that appears to have a single cam engine (not dohc). Is this possible? If so where can I get info on it?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have a 2008 kia spectra ex with that appears to have a single cam engine (not dohc). Is this possible? If so where can I get info on it?

It only APPEARS to be a SOHC motor due to only ONE CAM GEAR PULLEY run from the timing belt. The 2.0 liter motor in your car is a DOHC, with the exhaust cam driven by a chain off the intake cam under the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
MOST PROBABLE that either the timing belt shed off cog teeth on the timing belt at the crank pulley and not able to spin the cam over. OR the "overheat" ruined the head. Either way you're in for major disassembly to inspect properly and determine what repairs are needed...NOTE..This is an "interference motor", meaning if timing belt goes that VALVE/valvetrain and piston damage is done.

·
Super Moderator
9,473 Posts
Lost belt (alt,water pump & Pwr Steering) engine overheated and not start. Replace belt, inspected TB, checked spark and compression. All okay except there is no compression on any cyl. Any suggestions?
How did you go about the inspection of the TB?

The lack of compression could be one-, or both, TB failed or head gasket blown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that this engine has a TB outside and another inside the valve cover. I checked the one outside by rotating the engine while checking for lost teeth etc. Rotated engine thru a couple of cycles and noted that timing marks lined up. Will now remove valve cover for further analysis. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
ronestes...
Any modern engine can't handle ANY overheating... Yours probably has a blown head gasket or a warped head...
The best "repair" would be a low mileage engine from a salvage yard... Try a "pull-a-part" type yard or search "car-part.com"... You should be able to find an engine (complete) for $500 or less... Why waste money on a head or head gasket when a complete engine is so cheap...
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts