Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Spectra SX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at 92,000 miles and want to do any preventative/needed maintenance.
This has been a great car with just doing routine oil changes and new tires.

The only thing I have done is changed antifreeze(awhile back), and rear brakes(still have oem fronts on) and still have oem battery.

I picked up New NGK spark plugs Iridium IX, New PCV vavle and will be putting them in.
Found it strange about no fuel filter, I believe?

Have been reading about timing belt/tensioners/water pump, etc. Are they all really recomended?

New spark plugs wires will follow--just because!

Am I missing anything? Appreciate all help.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,789 Posts
Before you do anything, you need to replace your timming belt! Kia wants you to replace it every 60,000 miles or 5 years. You are WAY overdue! You will not like what happens when it breaks!! It will cost you a lot more cash to fix your broken engine than what the t/belt replacment will cost you.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Spectra SX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am ready to order parts for tb, any thing I am missing below?
t/b kit with water pump
new belts
Have a quick question on 2 jack thing( I only have 1) can u just put on jack stand once wheel is removed? Which will free up jack to support engine.

I also want to do tranny service, is there a filter under pan? How many quarts does it hold? Any special tranny fluid?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,789 Posts
I would get another jack stand to be safe, it will allways come in handy. There is a filter under the pan, and yes, you need to use SP3 trans fluid, if your just droping the pan, 6 quarts should do the trick. Your parts list for the t/b sounds good to me. Just make sure your getting a quality t/b.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
I'm with Cobra...
Check your brake pads also...It's cheaper to replace just pads "if" they don't wear too low and score the rotors..
I used 2 jacks (actually 3, third is just a backup behind the one holding the car up) because my "old" stands are too high to fit under the low profile newer cars.. Need to update my stands also.
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Spectra SX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there an aftermarket trans fluid that is good to use? The closest dealer is 1 1/2 hrs away. I also saw there is no gasket for the trans pan, is one type of sealant better than the other? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Magic Word "RockAuto.com".
KIA parts are a little harder to find being the "new kid on the block" and local parts stores don'r usually carry parts for them...
I found that "RocK" has the parts, prices, and quick delivery...
The tranny fluid is supposed to be "just a type III fluid"...but there have been posters not happy with the results from generic replacements (transmission problems).. If you have a Hyundai dealership close by they use the same drive train in their Elantras and the OEM fluid cans are usually marked Hyundai/KIA.
That is the only fluid I personally won't substitute in my Spectras...
The tranny filter and gasket can be gotten on ebay also reasonably cheap with shipping... DO NOT USE a "GASKET in a TUBE"...You WILL be sorry you did if you ever need to get the pan off again...It is a mess to clean off and can get into the tranny sump pickup.
Hope this helps...
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts