Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm borrowing a 2008 Spectra from a friend. When I turn the car on, the lights on the clock, radio, climate controls and odometer work fine. As soon as I turn the headlights on, none of those lights work. I don't have any interior lights, other than the tire pressure light. The headlights, tail lights, and turn signals work, and moving the knob to adjust the brightness of the speedometer doesn't do anything either. Since the lights work when the headlights aren't on, I didn't expect it to be a fuse or bulb issue, but I checked those just to be sure. (The fuses in the car, and the ones under the hood.) Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,929 Posts
Check the right tail light fuse... When it blew on my 06 Spectra all of the dash lights went out along with the tail/brake light. It also could be the dimmer circuit module as the dash lights bypass the dimmer module for the radio, climate controls, and clock.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked both tail light fuses and they are good. Is the dimmer circuit module the dial part that would dim or bright the gauge lights, or is it the part that the headlight controls are on that attaches to the steering wheel. (Sorry if that's a stupid question. I've helped my husband work on just about every other part of cars, but never really the interior stuff....)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,929 Posts
I is part of the dimmer "knob" and is behind the dash just to the left of the steering wheel. It is a "module" and the wiring harness plugs into it.
To gain access you need to remove the lower plastic panel. The big "trick" is another panel that faces the left door (by the upper door hinge) needs to be popped off (no screws) to gain access to two hidden screws that have to be removed to remove the lower panel (after two more screws on the bottom of this panel have been removed).
Not a hard job but tricky if you don't know of the hidden screws.
Looking for answers should not be concidered "stupid"...What you asked was needed to process your next move(s).
There are a lot of salvage yards in California that you can buy a recycled module from for much less than what a dealer wants for it. Most yards offer lifetime warranty on their used parts.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts