Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Kia Spectra with about 78K. I have started noticing a popping noise from the front end especially when I go over bumps. The car is pulling to the right and there is not a slight vibration in the steering wheel. My first thought is ball joints but I do not see any information on upper ball joints just replacements for the lowers. I have changed ball joints numerous times on other vehicles so doing the work is not a big deal. Does this vehicle have upper ball joints or just lowers?

Thank you,
Jeff Johnson

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
The car does not have upper ball joints. It has struts (shocks and springs as one unit).
There is an upper strut bearing that turns the strut assembly when you turn. Lo0k under the hood for the strut towers and the look for a large black rubber donut held in place with a large nut. That donut has the bearing in its center.
The shock/spring (strut assy) has a very long life unlike my old Ford Contour that wore out around 30k miles. I have seen very few posts on replacements on this forum.
More likely you may have lower suspension rubber bushings going bad.
My 06 Spec SX is noisier than my wifes 07 Spec LX but I attribute that to a stiffer suspension, 16" rims, and sport tires. I get thumps over medium bumps.
Do yourself a favor by looking up replacing struts and compressing the spring. They can be VERY DANGEROUS to your health if you don't know what you are doing.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I have changed struts before, you are correct, doing them incorrectly can cause you to get a new nickname.

I am planning to change the lower ball joints tomorrow evening. What are these lower suspension rubber bushings and where are they inserted?

Thanks,
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts