Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother has a 2008 KIA Spectra, a couple days ago she drove it to the store, then a couple days later she tried to drive it again and it would not engage. The shifter will move when you push the button to drive, rev, etc., but nothing happens when you press the accelerator, the engine just revs like it is in neutral. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the problem might be? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
i used to have the same problem. first it will not shift to over drive and then it just seems like the car is on nuetral even if its in reverse or drive. the problem was the tourqe converter the clutches inside the tourqe conver is probly shot. replace the tourqe converter and your good make sure to use kia dealer trans fluid only diamond III every 30k.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Have you checked the level of the transmission fluid? Such a simple thing but commonly overlooked...

Another thing to try is disconnect the battery's negative terminal and wait 5~10 minutes then reconnect it... The transmission is controlled by an electronic processor (MPU) and it "might" be confused... I kinda doubt it though..
What's the mileage on her car? The Spectras are supposed to have the tranny fluids replaced EVERY 30k miles and if it hasn't been changed it can cause other symptoms... but... usually not a total failure...

tt2jzgtes has had some tranny problems with his Spectras but trannys are not a common problem found on this forum.... They have been very durable.
Dave

·
Registered
98 5.0 Explorer Eddie Baue, 2007 Spectra EX 4 Door 2.0 DOHC, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville, 1983 Camaro v8
32 Posts
I know this was a few months ago and has probably been fixed. But after a fluid change did the problem persist? If so Tranny might be trashed, car is a 08 and powertrain should still be intact. Take it to kia and let them fix the problem for free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts