Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sorento LX 3.3L RWD, 2006 Sportage LX 2.0L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to get tires next month and was looking for some advice about my choices. So far I've looked on Tire Rack and come up with these 3:

BFG Rugged All Terrain
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
General Grabber AT 2

Does anyone recommend one of these over the others, or have a suggestion for anything else in this price range ($130)?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
402 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
I have just been looking for tyres also and purchased this week.
(waiting for delivery)
Keep in mind the pricing is completely different here is Aus. Everyone like to rip you off as much as they can.

I was looking at the bridgestone Revo 2 (D694/D697 in aus) and they basically get the best reviews out of all the AT's out there. From reading up you do get slightly less mileage out of them, but the on road tyre comfort (road noise, grip) is the best.
They are $240 in 245/70/16 and $288 for 245/75/16 in Aus.

I found Cooper AT3's which also are getting good reviews for $200 each in 245/75/16.
At $200 each in aus you may be able to get them around your price range there. Most other places want 260 each for this tyre too, but found someone who imports tyres them selves rather than purchasing form the distributors...

·
Registered
'08 3.3L Sorento, Subaru 3.0L Outback
23 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion ATR (but a little bit over your budget) will match or better it with all the other AT tyres in all conditions, plus have read heaps of reviews saying they are also the best on road which is really where the safety matters the most. Put a set on my 05 Sorento and also bought a set for the 08 Sorrie when we upgraded.

·
Registered
2008 Sorento LX 3.3L RWD, 2006 Sportage LX 2.0L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pirelli's are out of my price range. My budget is $700 total. I have 3 kids, 2 in college, and not a lot of discretionary income. After reading some more reviews I'm starting to lean towards the Grabber AT2's, but still not sure.....Gee6, what exactly makes you prefer the Grabbers?

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,895 Posts
....Gee6, what exactly makes you prefer the Grabbers?
Very much a subjective thing and ymmv :p (since the suspension spec for different territories varies to start with).

The ride on the Sorento has always had (shall we say) "detractors" ... even respected (??) 4x4 journalist described the facelift ride as "choppy". imo the Pirelli ATR gives a harsher ride. Seems to me they are designed to work best at oem pressures or HIGHER (and I have experimented A LOT). The Grabbers are more compliant and work well slightly below the oem tire pressures.
{IMPORTANT - UK spec is 35psi, NA is 30psi, see my note about specs above}
I have run the Grabbers as low as 28psi (7 below spec here) and they are good. I was not happy with the Pirellis at that pressure.

Tires on mine are 255/55R18. Although it says '255' they are actually 275mm (+/-) wide by design. (General specs are available on line). They visually put a lot more 'rubber on the road' compared to the Pirelli tires - which may or may not explain some of the 'feel' thing.

Performance-wise, I doubt there is much to choose between them. We don't get much in the way of snow here, but I would feel that Grabbers would do better in those conditions. Both are relatively quite for an AT type tire - the Grabbers do get noiser with wear, but I can't say wrt Pirelli as we haven't got to that point yet. (The 2 types definitely have a different noise signature though.)

Currently running Grabbers with about 4mm tread left after about 60k miles - can't be bad! These have been on both a pre and a facelift model. Pirellis have about 6mm after approx 35k miles.

Note that General are replacing the AT2 with a new "AT" - this is reported to be as good or better than the AT2 and is designed to comply with new (EU) noise rules and are quieter. Not sure how long they will take to filter into the different markets, but they are here now in UK in a good number of sizes (I think). This new tire is my choice for replacement if I can afford them .... I have a set of Koni FSD shocks on order!

<< Caveat to those following: I cannot tell you what you want, expect or find in a tire's behaviour. Only what I think; and I'm not a professional tire tester. (Although I am a professional quality assessor) ;) >>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts