Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing the downstream O2 sensors i noticed a leak on my power steering pressure line. Not bad yet but had time available to replace it:

Ordered a warehouse closeout hose from Rock Auto. Paid $38.52 shipped. Was expecting to get an aftermarket hose but got this:

Appears to be the OEM hose which typically sell for ~$200 with shipping.

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are most of the tools required for this job. 10 and 12mm gear wrenches, 1/4" drive ratchet with swivel and 12mm socket, 17mm line/flare nut wrench, 1/2" drive breaker bar with a couple of long extensions, 24mm socket, 3/8" drive ratchet with extensions and 10, 12 and 14mm sockets, funnel and a pair of pliers:

Power steering system capacity is listed as 0.9 - 0.95 qts. (~30 ozs.). I bought three 12 oz. bottles of Prestone synthetic fluid for Asian vehicles:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Drain the pressure line by disconnecting it at the steering rack with the line wrench and removing the power steering fluid reservoir cap. Spray this connection and the bracket fasteners with penetrant in advance if you can.:

Make sure the old o-ring comes out with the end of the hard line.

There are two brackets that retain the hose to the vehicle. One in the lateral run below the steering rack on the passenger side which uses a nut on a vertical stud:

And another below the power steering pump which uses a horizontal bolt:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Move up top and remove the air filter box and the air hoses that connect to the throttle body using a ratchet, extensions and 12 and 14mm sockets. I also removed the fluid reservoir later. I disconnected the battery negative terminal before disconnecting the mass air flow sensor connector from the air intake.

Here is the 24mm banjo bolt at the power steering pump outlet:

And how to remove it. It took significant force on an 18" breaker bar to break the banjo bolt free:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After removing the nut and the bolt that secure the pressure hose to the vehicle you can now pull it down and out of the way. Route the new hose down from the top following the same route as the old hose. I taped over the end of the hose that screws into the steering rack to keep debris from getting in as you lower it.

Now comes the fun part (at least for me). I could not get the 24mm banjo bolt to thread into the power steering pump (with copper washers on the inside and outside surfaces of the hose end). Tried dozens of times but could not get the required alignment. The bolt by itself would thread right in smooth as butter. After wasting a ridiculous amount of time and getting frustrated i realized the problem was interference between the U-shaped alignment tab on the pump outlet and the little protrusion on the end of the hose that is supposed to seat in the alignment tab. Got out my Dremel with a carbide cutting tool and trimmed off part of one side of the alignment tab. Then i was able to secure the hose end to the pump outlet using the banjo bolt and two copper washers. Didn't have the torque spec for the banjo bolt but i figure it must be pretty high considering the thread size and amount of force required to break it free.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Now you are home free. Make sure the o-ring on the hose outlet fitting is in place and lubricated. Then use the line/flare nut wrench to secure the outlet end of the new hose to the steering rack.

Then secure the hose at the two retaining brackets with the nut and bolt. I cleaned my throttle body since the hose was out of the way and got quite a bit of junk to flow out. This is also a good opportunity to clean your mass air flow sensor and to change your air filter if due. Reinstall the air intake parts and hoses and the reservoir if removed. I filled up the reservoir with new fluid to the cold MAX line. Then i turned the steering wheel from lock to lock several times to get air bubbles out of the system (the front wheels were off the ground) and kept adding new fluid to maintain the MAX level. When i started the engine and turned the steering wheel back and forth i got some noise and foaming of the fluid. The foaming could indicate a leak but i think it was just due to air in the new hose and drained system. I continued adding new fluid as required to keep the reservoir at the right level and the sounds went away. I Probably added ~16 oz. of new fluid total. I had done a complete flush not too long ago so overall condition of the fluid in the system should be decent. As always, check for leaks over the next few days and tighten any loose connections.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Even included pics.
This should help anyone contemplating this repair in the future.
RA usually sends OEM alot of the times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts