Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed at new Kenwwod DDX-470 head unit in my 08 Sorento. I love it and it sounds superb, bringing the stock speakers to life! I would, however, like to upgrade the speaker system. I pulled a front door trim panel to see what the stock speaker system consisted of. I expected a component setup but found a 2-way speaker in the door with the tweeter above in the sail a panel. I did not find a crossover like I expected. Question: Do I need to purchase a component speaker system with a one-way door speaker and tweeter? Or, should I purchase a pair of coaxial speakers for the doors and new tweeters for the sail? I'm also intrigued by that door speaker connector. It looks like there is a driver wire for both the mid and woofer followed by a ground for each. Is that correct? I have seen several posts about speakers but can't remember where they are. If someone has any experience or advice in this area or knows where I can find a previous post on the subject I would be most appreciative!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
It sounds like you have a small black box under your driver seat. This is the amplifier/crossover. My '05 has the door speaker and the tweeter, not a 2way though. The amp under your seat* is where all the magic happens. You can replace the tweeters with no problem, and if you can find a 2 way speaker similar to whats already in the doors, you can cut/splice the wires to the smaller one and tap them in to get the full range. That may take a bit of creative engineering to get right though.

*The amp may reside elsewhere after the '07 facelift.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Yes I have the amp under the seat. I think I am going with a component set which should still get me the full range. I'm going to study the schematics on KGIS and try to make sense of what I need to do with the hookup. Anyway, thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts