Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sorento LX 3.3L FWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, I went through a number threads and found some info regarding REDK-1 vs Multi-Vehicle compatibility but
didn't find a thread stating some one actually used Valvoline Max-life without issue. As you all are aware, the dealers want a fortune
for the KIA brand. If that is what it has to be then fine but if there is a more resonable alternative that works then great.

My concern is I am changing this on my son's vehicle and he is back home (Iowa) and driving back in a week and I am a little leery
changing it to an alternative and then have him drive 850 miles if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any experience with using one of alternatives like Maxlife - which Valvoline specs states its compatible?

Thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
2008 Sorento LX 3.3L FWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ron, I have updated my profile and signature
Tim

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
86 Posts
I have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF in the past on a 2006 Honda CRV with no issues. I have also used it in my 2008 Sorento with no issues. But in both cases, I've used LubeGard additive with the that ATF. Personally, I believe it firms up the shifts, but some people my not like that. You can find the RED1k stuff online and some local dealerships still stock it, but it is not cheap. Also, I've heard you can use the latest Nissan automatic ATF since the 5sp auto in our 1.5Gen (2007-09) is basically the same transmission in the Nissan Pathfinder (truck based), Frontier, Xterra, etc.

·
Registered
2008 Sorento LX 3.3L FWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Swamp for your reply and info,

I did some research and the Castrol Import Multi is REDK-1 compliant so I drained the pan the other day and refilled 4.5 quarts. It seemed to shift a little better. I plan to drain it again and refill today or tomorrow to further dilute the old fluid left in the converter. The transmax has a little higher vis rating at 100 degrees than some of the other alternatives. He lives in Austin but is back home visiting (Iowa). Its considerably hotter for a longer period of time there than here in Iowa so that is why I went with the Transmax. I guess we'll see how things turn out.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts