Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been having some trouble lately with my '08 Sorento's 4WD system. Initially, the 4WD indicator, 4WD LOW, and ESC OFF lights would come on and stay on after a hot start. Hot start being defined as ~15 minutes of driving, a short stop not long enough for a full cool down, and restarting.

Now the lights are permanently on, even from a cold start (see attached photo for warning light config).

From previous research, I read somewhere that I could get the lights to flash 4WD system trouble codes by simply putting the key in the ACC ON position and counting flashes on those lights. Alas, no such luck, they stay solid during that evolution.

So, I don't really know where to look next and am looking for some expertise the group here might have in helping me track this down.

Some more background info:
- Neither 4WD HI or 4WD LO will engage while these warnings are showing.
- 4WD is almost never engaged in this vehicle. Maybe once a year.
- Before warning lights became permanently on, 4WD HI would engage / disengage after a cold start when the lights weren't on.
- I don't think we've ever put it in 4WD LO
- We used to have the error with the ESC OFF light that put the car in limp mode, but in this case when ESC OFF is shown in conjunction with the 4WD lights the engine appears to act normally.

Any tips, links to a service manual now that kia-tech is for pay, or any other info that might help is appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any thoughts as to the culprit? Is this the kind of scanner that Advance Auto or something will lend me to check in the parking lot? It looks a little more advanced than an every day OBDII scanner.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
any thoughts as to the culprit? Is this the kind of scanner that Advance Auto or something will lend me to check in the parking lot? It looks a little more advanced than an every day OBDII scanner.
Advanced and Auto Zone won't check for these codes. Some transmission shops will check codes free if I think of one I will post the name. AAMCO in Georgia used to provide this service.. Call and ask as they are a nationwide chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to be sure, no one has seen something like this? Just curious about the group's thoughts before they attempt to sell me a new transfer case or something.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
While I'm sure they will try to sell you the repair it's up to you to determine if you want their service. You can always tell them you want to get another estimate. Just tell them you can't afford the estimate.
Most shops will scan for an hours shop time. Usually around $100.00.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just to be sure, no one has seen something like this?
Not exactly like that. Something tells me that you first need to be checking harness connectors and, possibly, abs wheel sensors. The ESC light is unusual. The two systems are, theoretically, independant iirc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know if the 2008 Sorento has active or passive wheel speed sensors?

I'm thinking I can throw a multimeter on the sensor leads to check if they are working if they are of the unpowered analog persuasion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i took this into the shop this week and they told me it was throwing codes:

C1513 Brake Switch Error?
C1102 Battery Voltage Low
P1729 EMC Short to Ground
P1739 General Encoder Error

Its a new battery and we've done the brake switch recall ( seems to still be operating properly).

I can find very minimal info on the EMC. My understanding is that this is a clutch in the transfer case that governs whether the driveline is engaged to the front wheels or not? If anyone has some diagrams that would be helpful.

The general encoder error is interesting, since I think there are encoders in both the transfer case shift motor and a hall effect sensor for the FWD drive shaft?

As you might be able to tell I'm not terribly familiar with the system so if anyone has any guidance / direction it would be appreciated. I'd really prefer not to just throw parts at this thing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Those are rather odd codes. I wouldn't be surprised if nearly every single post I've responded to is Kia electrical issues. I would check TSBs for wiring issues. Some Sedonas (not Sorento) of a similar year had melting headlamp wires and recalls on brake switches.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just like many electronic 4x4 systems I have encountered, it is not uncommon for a connection underneath to work itself loose, corrode, or wear out and short to a ground such as the chassis or drivetrain. On domestic vehicles this usually happens at the wiring or connectors that go to the transfer case or 4x4 solenoid. I'd give a shot at crawling underneath and visually checking the condition of the wiring and connectors that engage the 4x4 system.

Perhaps someone has the service manual PDF. 😉

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I've been having some trouble lately with my '08 Sorento's 4WD system. Initially, the 4WD indicator, 4WD LOW, and ESC OFF lights would come on and stay on after a hot start. Hot start being defined as ~15 minutes of driving, a short stop not long enough for a full cool down, and restarting.

Now the lights are permanently on, even from a cold start (see attached photo for warning light config).

From previous research, I read somewhere that I could get the lights to flash 4WD system trouble codes by simply putting the key in the ACC ON position and counting flashes on those lights. Alas, no such luck, they stay solid during that evolution.

So, I don't really know where to look next and am looking for some expertise the group here might have in helping me track this down.

Some more background info:
- Neither 4WD HI or 4WD LO will engage while these warnings are showing.
- 4WD is almost never engaged in this vehicle. Maybe once a year.
- Before warning lights became permanently on, 4WD HI would engage / disengage after a cold start when the lights weren't on.
- I don't think we've ever put it in 4WD LO
- We used to have the error with the ESC OFF light that put the car in limp mode, but in this case when ESC OFF is shown in conjunction with the 4WD lights the engine appears to act normally.

Any tips, links to a service manual now that kia-tech is for pay, or any other info that might help is appreciated! Thanks.
I am having this exact same issue. Even down to symptoms progressing from hot starts to now cold starts. I took it in to Kia and they told me it was the transfer control pump. I replaced that with no luck. I am curious to know if you have resolved this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok gentlemen, my apologies but I'm going to raise this one from the dead. I took this Sorento to a good non-dealer mechanic to identify the problem. They were able to fault trace the issue to something called the EMC [Electro-Magnetic Clutch] Coil in the transfer case. He also said his parts diagram on some system named 'All Data' called it a rear speed sensor which makes less sense. Basically, the function of the part is to magnetically clutch in and out the driveshaft to the front wheels. Based on the codes, its broken in such a way that it causes a short circuit, and thus 4WD codes. This kind of mag clutch being the problem fits with the symptoms, codes, AND even progressively getting worse in a temperature dependent manner so I'd like to replace this thing and see if it fixes my codes and 4WD system.

Heres the rub:

The mechanic got a part from the dealer, and when he went to install it, found out that it was the incorrect part. After having some words with the dealer, they sent over another part which was the same as the first one (i.e incorrect). My wife uses this vehicle as a daily driver, so I can't let the mechanic keep it for a week while he walks the offending part over to the dealer in order to get them to provide the right one. So, he told me to take it to a dealer and have them diagnose the problem (which would cause me to pay again for diagnostics which I'd like not to do).

My question to the group - does anyone have a parts diagram for a 2008 Sorento transfer case showing an EMC Coil? Has anyone ever replaced one of these? How can I describe to the dealer what I want better than the mechanic? Without paying for the access to the KIA parts data thing (name slips my mind right now) I have had a hell of a time finding this part on the google.

Failing all of that, can someone with access to the KIA parts diagram or service manuals for the Sorento look this up for me?

Any info would help going forward, and would probably help the last poster as well.

Cheers!

Edit:

I managed to spill the right words into the google. Turns out there was a great teardown document on this forum for the transfer case here [link].

The part I need, according to my mechanic, is the EMC or Part # 17 on slide 15 & 16 also as described pictorially on slides 18 and 24.

I'll edit my request to include asking if anyone can help me identify the proper KIA part number for the EMC. I'd also like the part number for the 'rear speed sensor' on slide 19 since my mechanic also called the offending part by that name and it looks like it should cost about $5.

Another good resource (again obviously not able to be found prior to posting here again) is a transfer case teardown TSB with pics of all the internal parts here [link].

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
cvh8601
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing