Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 serento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have lost my dashlights after an attempted aftermarket stereo install, when i turn the headlight switch odo,radio and gear selector lamp are lit then go out . when wiring up the new radio (couldnt get audio so switched back to stock radio) I noticed now my dash lamps ,odo, radio lamps dissapear when headslamps are turned on. I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen. the only thing i can think of is when new radio was plugged in I may have damaged something ? also if anybody can link me to a site that may have a wiring diagram would be helpful.
Thanks
Mark:confused:

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
Sounds like you had the wrong wire harness for the aftermarket radio.

The orange and orange/white wires control the dimming of the aftermarket radio. If they are crossed over or hooked up wrong, you WILL blow a fuse controlling the dash lights. Check for that, it'll be labeled "ILUM" or similar.

It's normal for the odometer and stock radio display to dim (brightness controlled by the knob to the left of the steering wheel), at the same time that the backlighting comes on for everything else. If you blew that fuse, things will still dim out, but the other lights won't come on.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Just for fun check the right rear tail light fuse...
That one was the blown one on my 06 Spectra when the dash lights were out...
Dave

·
Registered
2008 serento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a dimmer switch today after I had the tech at my local kia dealer look over my notes and findings he was able to get the lights to work after grounding the yellow wire at the dimmer control. I had my car there having a valve cover gasket replaced under warrenty so I had Bill the Tech double check my findings.:D I dont know if im allowed to say I have had very excellant service work done at Marty Feldman Kia in Novi michigan and I've been a tech myself for over 30+ years. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts