Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question concerning my wife's 2008 Kia Rondo and what I think is a braking system question. When letting off the gas the car slows down a bit more then my car and it always seemed to slow down quicker then I am used to, however once it coasts down nearing 20 MPH the car really slows down like the brake is being applied.

I noticed this more a few times today after getting the brake switch recall done. A few times I let off the gas and it was like the brake was being depressed and the car stopped itself completely.

This was trouble to me since at the same time the car was struggling to accelerate. I pulled over and depressed the parking brake a few times. The acceleration issue went away. However on several occasions when letting the car coast it basically stopped itself. Under about 20 MPH I thought I could feel the brake pedal going down (unless its my imagination).

Thoughts? Is this deceleration normal? If so is it the braking system or the weight of the car on a small drive tranny? It always seemed to slow down quicker than I am used to but today was a little more troubling.

THANKS.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
254 Posts
Maybe you can try shifting to neutral under safe conditions, and see if the car reliably slows itself. If so, maybe it is the brakes or some kind of tire rubbing.

If the car doesn't slow itself when in neutral, then maybe it's a phenomenon related to the transmission and engine braking (which would be present if you were in drive, but not present when in neutral).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you can try shifting to neutral under safe conditions, and see if the car reliably slows itself. If so, maybe it is the brakes or some kind of tire rubbing.

If the car doesn't slow itself when in neutral, then maybe it's a phenomenon related to the transmission and engine braking (which would be present if you were in drive, but not present when in neutral).

Thanks I will give it a try a few times along with under normal conditions.

yesterday I was going about 30-40 and let off the gas. Seemed somewhat normal slowing to about 20-25, then it felt like the brakes were being applied. I slowed down to 0 at a light without touching the brakes. This can't be normal. I have to start driving it a little more and try these conditions to see what happens, especially with the warranty running out very soon.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,789 Posts
are you saying the car stopped (complete stop) on a flat surface without touching brakes while in Drive?
If so, that is damn wrong...
Are you the first owner? Is it still on warranty?

I assume you checked fluid level, right?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
What's the mileage on the car? Has the transmission fluid ever been replaced?

You said "I noticed this more a few times today after getting the brake switch recall done. A few times I let off the gas and it was like the brake was being depressed and the car stopped itself completely. "
I'm not sure of the brake pedal adjustment on this KIA but it sounds like the pedal "might" be pressed down just a little just enough to cause the brakes to "drag"... I have heard that Rondos have had early brake wear problems...

and...
because of the car being an automatic (at least in the USA) the parking/emergency brakes and cables seldomly get used and the cables can get corroded and can stick "on" even when the handle gets released... "if" they are then "used" once or twice in this condition the E brakes may continue to "drag" causing the condition you described...On cars with manual trannys the E brake gets used often and this seldomly happens because the cables "clean" themselves of the rust every time they are used.
Just some thoughts...
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to post back after driving it a few times again to see what is going on.

The part about the car coming to a complete stop did happen and that is when I was going to go back to the dealership for the recall. It was at this point the car was struggling to move and it felt like the brake was stuck. I then pulled over to and pressed the E brake a few times even though the dash didn't show it as on.

After this the car drove better but at times it still slows down faster then say my car and more to what I was used to on this car (it didn't stop on its own any more). The car from day one always slowed down quicker then what I am used to especially from around 20MPH give or take. I always wondering if it was the drive train slowing it down like this and if this was normal or if it has something to do with the braking system other then a stuck e-brake or something, which is why I am posting.

The car has 37k on it and the brakes where changed within the last year but this has not shown any change from prior to the brake change. The tranny fluid has not been changed yet.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,789 Posts
2008, 37k... not much for this age.

Since we assume brakes... check them after driving. Be careful when touching them as the might be hot. I am trying to see if any of them is more hot than others.

Next, can you shift out of drive without touching the brake pedal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reply :2008 Rondo - slowing down?

kay I have a 2007 Kia Rondo LX 2.7L with 106,000.Bought it a yr old and quickly ran out the 50,000 warrenty.I recently stopped and put gas in my car(did not top it off but filled it up)and it started acting like it wanted to die on me.It drove perfectly..until I put gas in it again and same thing-I have to sit there with my foot on the gas until it quits sputtering.A few days later my check engine light came on.Took it to AutoZone and 3 EVAP codes came up.Im taking it to a mechanic on Friday but my husband and I know NOTHING when it comes to cars so I always like to know something and this one boggles everyone.Now my Air Bag light is on also-which Ive never heard of an air bag light coming on.
I have paid so much $$ fixing repairs on this car.I replaced the fuel pump last yr for $650,my a/c compressor clutch went out and Kia quoted me $1000 for the whole compressor.I found the part online for $450 and my bro in law changed it and charged it.Its never a quick,cheap fix on these.The other cars Ive had and never been as high maint. as this car.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2010. It would slow down as if the engine were braking the car more that it should at low speeds. But also at lower speeds when try to drive at a steady speed it would seem to hunt between gears. So it would be a very slight but annoying jerking. Does your car do that?
I took it in numerous time and I was ready to drive it off a cliff. The car had less than 10,000 kms on it at the time. Finally KIA changed out the transmission as they had no other idea what to do with it. After that it was better but it still a problem for while. Then after a couple 1000nd kms the problem went away forever. At least I hope so; I have 36,000 kms on it at present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question concerning my wife's 2008 Kia Rondo and what I think is a braking system question. When letting off the gas the car slows down a bit more then my car and it always seemed to slow down quicker then I am used to, however once it coasts down nearing 20 MPH the car really slows down like the brake is being applied.

I noticed this more a few times today after getting the brake switch recall done. A few times I let off the gas and it was like the brake was being depressed and the car stopped itself completely.

This was trouble to me since at the same time the car was struggling to accelerate. I pulled over and depressed the parking brake a few times. The acceleration issue went away. However on several occasions when letting the car coast it basically stopped itself. Under about 20 MPH I thought I could feel the brake pedal going down (unless its my imagination).

Thoughts? Is this deceleration normal? If so is it the braking system or the weight of the car on a small drive tranny? It always seemed to slow down quicker than I am used to but today was a little more troubling.

THANKS.
Hi Joedm, I recently bought a 2016 Kia Forte5 which does the exact same thing you you are describing. It has just under 34K miles on it. When I get the car up to say 35 miles an hour, then let my foot completely off the gas and just let the car coast, once the speedometer gets down to about 20-23 MPH the car will noticeably slow down on it's own like the brake pedal was pressed down, even though it was not. I've never noticed this behavior on any other car I've driven. This is very concerning to me, and reeks of a problem. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue on your end?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts