Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Rio Manual transmission with 24k miles wouldn't start. Turned the key, totally dark, no sounds, no lights, nothing. Push-started it and now runs and starts fine so far for a couple days.

Two years ago same starting issue. Tow truck gave me jump-start (after barking at me for calling him instead of just push-starting it). Told him Kia Rio manual says not to push start. Pep Boy's recommended new battery, which I bought and it started fine until a couple days ago when it wouldn't start. Battery has 3 year warranty, so took it back. But they claim battery is good; they say the alternator needs replacement.

Should I take it to Kia dealer to checkout and see if they recommend new alternator?

Is it okay to push start Rio in emergency even though manual says not to?

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Have you checked the contact point from the negative battery cable to the body? Sometimes you'll get excessive resistance here and it will leave you with nothing, just as you described. The battery doesn't seem to be bad. Also, the alternator seems unlikely. When you say there weren't any lights at all, that doesn't point to an alternator. It sounds like a circuit/flow problem. That ground cable is the first place I'd start.

Reactions: bensmith5862

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
I agree with mattybyzf...I don't think the alternator is the problem also.
The ground wire(s) would be my first item to check/clean.
Corrosion problems were common on early KIAs and have shown up on newer ones also ...But they are curable.
Dave

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
I push started my Rio all the time.
Usually out the front of the gf's house at 2 in the morning. >.<
Never seemed to do any damage.
Had the battery run dead once after running the radio straight for around 40hrs, but not since then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts