Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rio LX, 2007 Honda Shadow (Bike)
69 Posts
I would call your dealers parts department. It really doesn't matter though as either will work as replacements. You may see a difference in longevity but performance wise you'd be good either way. Iridium is suppose to last longer.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra EX
2 Posts
kia says 100k on the plugs, but i swapped them out at 55k for autolite platinums and noticed a great improvement in performance.

they put champions in them from the factory (BARF) and mine were TRASHED after 55k, the porcelain was burnt brown near where it leads into the socket part of the plug, and the electrodes were just nasty and covered in crap. Maybe it was the large amount of short trips and hard acceleration, not sure really but the autolites are going strong after 30k still.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well - we replaced the plugs and air filter a couple of weeks ago and my son took it in for a 60000 service yesterday. I'm not sure what they quoted him, but from the write up it looks like they started with all the things on the list and then marked that he delined everything except an oil change and coolant service. He wanted to wait on the tranny fluid change (it was about $100) till next month when his finances should be better, so I'm ok that they marked that on as declined.

So he gets an oil change and coolant change - 4 hrs labor with total being $280!

Seems to me like the write up is designed to void the warranty? What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Most Spectras came with Champion Platinum plugs and at 60k they should be replaced.
(use NGK brand of same size) .

The timing belt is the MOST important item that is scheduled for replacement AT 60k.
IF it breaks you WILL trash the engine...If replaced EVERY 60k the engine CAN go 300k miles! I can be done "at home" with the right tools by a driveway mechanic. The belt (GATES) from "rockauto.com" is under $20 with shipping.

The dealership is not the cheapest way to go by the long run and "IF" you keep your receipts and follow the book supplied by KIA on upkeep ...your warranty is still intact.

Buy the transmission fluid (4~5 Qts of Hyundai Type III) AT THE DEALERSHIP (aprox $6~7 qt) also buy a "genuine" Hyundai/KIA oil filter (aprox $7.00)... Find the plug on the bottom of the transmission pan and drain out what you CAN and measure the amount... Remember... REPLACE THE PLUG...Now... with a long narrow funnel (Walmart) slolwly replace the fluid through the transmission dipstick tube (pipe). When you come close to the amount drained measure the levels...when you find you are close... start the car and put the selector through the range of gears including reverse...stop the engine and check the levels again... DO NOT OVER FILL...

The Bill of sale proves you bought/replaced the tranny fluids and some digital pictures also help... The oil change is just as simple...Replace the filter (NOT FRAM) and aprox 4 qts of oil. Valvoline synthetic 5w30 is under $30 at Walmart.

Keep ALL of your receipts including the refusal (as they outlined what was needed replaced at 60k and show the actual mileage of the car). Put the rest of the money you saved back into your sons education and SMILE!!
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts