Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a break down of when the problems started:
January - Accelerator position sensor replaced after my car stopped at a red light. I got it to crank after about 30 minutes, but it wouldn't accelerate over 5mph (car was at 57,000 miles under warranty, replaced for free)

Wed June 27th - Car wouldn't start when coming from the store. I waited 2 minutes. Car started but wouldn't accelerate over 5-10mph. I waited 20 minutes. The car was able to drive me 15 miles home, and 15 miles back to work the next morning.

Thursday June 28th - I took my car to the dealer. They said that they needed to re-learn the throttle body sensor ($147) . I picked up my car, and stopped at the store. Came out, car wouldn't crank. Waited 2 minutes, it cranked and got me home. (66,000 miles, car no longer under warranty)

Friday June 29th - Car got me back to work. When leaving work, car wouldn't accelerate over 5 miles per hour. Called the dealer, they told me I would have to replace the throttle body for ~$740.

I feel like the symptoms are the same as they were in January, and feel like the dealer may be toying with me (especially since they told me that the re-learn on the throttle body may or may not work). I feel like they should be able to tell me exactly what's wrong with my vehicle.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or provide any recommendations to me?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Lots of times the throttle plate will stick, and usually a simple cleaning will correct the problem. If it sticks the car will not be able to idle correctly. It is possible that the TB is bad, but not as likely as just being dirty. I assume they would have done that during the relearn, but maybe not.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
On "Wed June 27th" your problem was "Car started but wouldn't accelerate over 5-10mph" during wrranty...

On "Friday June 29th" your problem STILL was "car wouldn't accelerate over 5 miles per hour"

They hadn't correctly diagnosed or repaired the problem during the warranty period.
I'd go after them for that... If they say it needs a "throttle body for $740" make them eat it and any other related problem until it IS repaired....
You do have documentation don't you?

They DIDN'T repair it correctly during the warranty. Contact KIA Corporate first to see where they stand. If they do nothing contact the BBB for arbitration. They are usually worthless but it's one of the steps needed to get what you want. Then contact a lawyer (friend?). Make sure that they know you will be asking for extra for mental duress at this time. They legally have to repair your car if they did not for the same problem during the warranty period. Always start out "nice" when addressing the problem and get NAMES and the person's position within KIA's corporation. If they know that you KNOW that they are in the wrong they'll cave.
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DaveSpectra. I did call Kia corporate. They were nice, but told me, "the symptoms are the same, but the problem is different". That is why they would not cover the sensor re-learn. I'm going to call again Monday morning. Hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@spongebob218 I'm not going to bet that they cleaned it. What does a simple cleaning involve? Is it something an unexperienced female consumer can do? :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
You said "They were nice, but told me, "the symptoms are the same, but the problem is different" ...

I missed the first time in January
January/June27th/and June 29th it wouldn't accelerate over 5mph...TWICE in warranty
and once two days after warranty..

I'd tell them the problem was never solved the FIRST or SECOND time as the problem must be an intermittent one. Ask them if the dealer can PROVE it was solved or did they just "try something" because they didn't really know what was wrong.

They try to pass BS on to you to get out of the completing your repair.

I don't know if it's worth it to you to keep pushing but I would. Search this forum for "won't go over 5mph"... I doubt if you'll find any other posts but yours.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts