Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for the drain plug for the ATF on my 2008 Kia Amanti. The fluid looks like it's about time for a change. It's high mileage and all the dealership is offering is a 400$ flush that will most likely kill the tranny. I just want to replace half the fluid, drive it 5k and do it again. Simple drain and dipstick fill. Any idea where the drain plug is I've seen an ATF fluid change on a Sportage and I have this picture of what I believe is the ATF drain bolt. Let me know ,thanks!

Registered
04 Kia Amanti, 05 Kia Amanti, 10 Hyundai Genesis, 99 & 88 Suburban, 01 ES300, 91 E150, 89 S10 Blazer
If you are rich and can't do your own car labor, the local garage might be the way to go. ;) What I did allows me to change all the fluid, including the fluid that is stored in the torque converter.
It is relatively easy on my 3.5, but might be less accessible on a 3.8. You will not have to do this twice, as you have suggested. This method works once. Just disconnect the line going to the transmission heater core inside the radiator, pump out the old fluid and pour in the new fluid. It really sounds easy, but it requires supplies and materials. Having everything on hand and ready to use makes the job much easier. I suspect there are multiple YouTube videos using this procedure. The drain bolt will be a 24mm at the bottom of the transmission. Your photo appears to be the correct one, but it is too close for me to verify. As long as you have the materials to seal the drain plug, you could start by draining, but I didn't. The bolt is magnetic and will have a small magnet at the tip. If you remove it, attempt to get all the metal off or the bolt with a rag and a stronger magnet. I did not have the large crush washer available, so I left it as it was.

Buy two oil drain pans, a pack of rags, a ATF funnel, some kitty litter, a dust pan, and any other supplies that you think you need from your neighborhood Dollar Tree store. Buy ten quarts of your favorite compatible fluid, and a spray can of engine cleaner from Wal-Mart, AutoZone or any other auto supply. I bought Maxlife synthetic for about $5 a quart. Remove the ATF dipstick and set it aside to keep it clean, then set the funnel in the ATF dipstick pipe, to avoid any ATF spilling into the engine bay. Once the incoming hose fitting is off the lower radiator shell, position the hose to pour into one of the drain pans. Start the engine to verify the fluid comes out of the loose hose into the pan, and not out of the radiator. If fluid pumps out of the radiator, you have the wrong hose disconnected. If you have fluid pumping from the hose, replace the fluid that comes out of the hose with new fluid through the intake funnel. You are now replacing what pumps out of the transmission into the drain pan. When one pan gets full, position the other pan in its place and turn off the car. Pour the used fluid into the empty bottles that your poured in to the tranny pipe and set them aside to be recycled later. Start the car again to continue the process until the fluid pouring into pan is the same color as what you pour into the filler pipe funnel. Replace the hose fitting onto the lower radiator tank, and tighten it, You have just flushed your ATF. It is unlikely to have a negative effect on your transmission. I do not recommend that you pull the pan or break any other seals on your tranny. Remove the $ drain pans and recycle all the old mixture into the new bottles, cap them tight so you can bring them back to your local AutoZone for disposal. Sprinkle the cat litter on any ATF that may have spilled, and allow it enough time to absorb the ATF, then sweep it into the dust pan, eventually in the outgoing trash bag. Use the engine cleaner and rags to wipe down any other spilled fluid, and dispose of the $ rags. If you are courageous, spray the engine cleaner anywhere in the engine compartment to disolve oil deposits, warm the car, rinse off the cleaner. The KIA dealer will also wash your car for you. This is what the dealer will charge you $400 for. If I were your neighbor, I would do it for only $375.馃榿

Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Just looking for the drain plug for the ATF on my 2008 Kia Amanti. The fluid looks like it's about time for a change. It's high mileage and all the dealership is offering is a 400$ flush that will most likely kill the tranny. I just want to replace half the fluid, drive it 5k and do it again. Simple drain and dipstick fill. Any idea where the drain plug is I've seen an ATF fluid change on a Sportage and I have this picture of what I believe is the ATF drain bolt. Let me know ,thanks!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

Kia Forum

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit 鈥渓ike鈥 on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
The plug/bolt in the pic above is the ATF drain plug.
Don't do flush, just drain and refill. Do drain and refill every 30K miles if you care to extend transmission life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts