Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 sportage 2.0 is running rough on idle. When I press the gas it immediately dies. The only code the computer receives is P0102. Is this most likely caused by the mass air flow sensor or can something else cause this error code? I replaced the spark plugs and checked all four to make sure they were firing. The sensor sells for $105 at the local parts store and at the moment I would hate to blow that if it don't fix the issue. If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be or what I need to check please let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2008 sportage 2.0 is running rough on idle. When I press the gas it immediately dies. The only code the computer receives is P0102. Is this most likely caused by the mass air flow sensor or can something else cause this error code? I replaced the spark plugs and checked all four to make sure they were firing. The sensor sells for $105 at the local parts store and at the moment I would hate to blow that if it don't fix the issue. If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be or what I need to check please let me know.
This can mean that: The performance of the mass air flow sensor is poor (sensor failure) or that the amount of air flow measured by the sensor is low. Check for damage to the air inlet tube (which houses the sensor), or for serious air leaks between the air box and the throttle body (loose clamps, air inlet tube disconnected etc.) If there are no signs of damage or loose connections, pick up a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and try that first before replacing the sensor. Any autoparts store will have it available, it's good practice the clean the mass air flow sensor each time you replace the air filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This can mean that: The performance of the mass air flow sensor is poor (sensor failure) or that the amount of air flow measured by the sensor is low. Check for damage to the air inlet tube (which houses the sensor), or for serious air leaks between the air box and the throttle body (loose clamps, air inlet tube disconnected etc.) If there are no signs of damage or loose connections, pick up a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and try that first before replacing the sensor. Any autoparts store will have it available, it's good practice the clean the mass air flow sensor each time you replace the air filter.
Of course there could be an issue with the sensor harness as well, but you'll be looking for that when disconnecting it I'm sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most likely the sensor. Mine on my 08 died. Cleaning didn't help. Advance has them and they are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your responses. I will be buying a new MAF this week and will see if that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Have you considered checking its response with a LIVE DATA SCANNER, or are you content with using the parts CANNON?

... Philip

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mapping is fine if you know what your looking at. I mapped mine and it looked great at idle and would fluctuate after idle. TPS signal was linear. Mine had no visible damaged. It just failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!

The issue was a bad idle air control valve. The valve was stuck. I cleaned it with some cleaner and the car idles good. It has been running great for a few days now.

Thanks for all the replies on this issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
mitchc1
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing