Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 Sportage EX-96K miles-Auto trans.

Just recently a slight wobble can be felt in the steering wheel. Balanced the tires and this did not help. It's not a vibration but when you let go of the wheel at 30mph you can see the wobble in the steering wheel and you can feel it through the seat.
My best guess is a cv joint but it makes no noise. Anyone out there have this similar problem and if so what was the fix? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad tire. Try rotating the front tires to the back and see what happens. Balance issues usually cannot be felt at that low a speed, usually more like 55-65. CV joint vibrations are usually only under load(accelerating).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just got done taking each tire off and inspecting them. I have had tires where a belt slips but you could run your hand across the tread and have no trouble feeling it. By then the tire is usually done for anyway.

On all tires(42K miles on tires)the tread is wearing perfectly and I would say they have at least 10K miles left on them. On 1 tire I did find something very odd. On the inside of the tire where the tread meets the sidewall there is a 2 inch area where there are 5 spots that resemble a large "zit". They are the size of a pencil eraser. Have never seen these on a tire before.

I'm taking the tires to the dealer tomorrow and see what they think. I can't mess around with a tire that might explode so if I need to buy a new set then thats what I will do. If the Sportage was only 2wd I would just replace the 1 tire but since it's 4wd I will replace them all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No need to buy 4 new tires. Just use the spare. On my 2007 Sportage, it is a full size, not a donut. I hope yours is the same.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
In the US, full size spare was not offered as an option. If the tire isn't the culprit, check the lower ball joint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got problem fixed. Went to the place where I bought the tires and they checked them out. The one tire showed tread separation and the others were getting to that point. The tire was a 70,000 mile tire with 51,000 on the tires.

So I got what was left of the warranty and a new set of tires. Drove it and it tracks straight as an arrow with no wobble/vibration in the steering wheel. You guy's nailed it. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts