Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I recently got a 2007 Kia Sportage LX which I'm excited to start modding and customizing.

Here's what she looked like factory:

More next post:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More

Here she is today with front windows tinted, new license plate covers, and new rims:

Planned mods:
- black nerf bars (being installed tomorrow)
- double DIN stereo (Pioneer Appradio already purchased just need to install)
- upgrade factory component speakers (anyone have a DIY guide for this?)
- debadge/rebadge (VIP K logo ordered should arrive next week)
- may black out chrome on grille & new badges (depends on how they look chrome)
- xenon full front bulb replacement (ordered, should arrive next week)
- smoke headlights and taillights
- paint calipers

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more updates!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 06
81 Posts
Cool!! It looks very nice with window tint!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm having lots of fun with my new hobby (tuning the crap out of this truck)

Here's the black powder coated nerf bars I added this week:

Next week I will be installing a Pioneer AppRadio, upgrading my front speakers/tweeters, & plasti-dipping the center fascia that surrounds the radio (currently is aluminum, will be matte black). Also, new Xenon headlights/foglights & new badges should be arriving this week!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Just installed Ultimate component speakers in the front an Infinity coaxiles in the back. Sounds glorious!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Some more work done today:

- installed e-break switch
- added CableJive dockxtender cable to add length to my iPhone adapter from the AppRadio
- ran iPhone cable under center console trim and up through unused switch plate (normally designated for seat heater switch), the cable moved easily in & out... Looks sharp!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Chuck...
The most important part you may need to install is a new timing belt...
I see no mention of the mileage on your car BUT they really have to be replaced EVERY 5yrs or 60k miles.. I'd hate to have to see your post about your belt breaking and trashing the engine...
If you are on top of the belt replacements that's super...
I just want your toy to keep you happy...
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
!

Yikes thanks for the heads up Dave!

I just phoned my local Kia dealer and it's $450 to replace the timing belt?! Holy sheet never expected that! What's the big worry with the timing belts anyway?

While I ponder this belt issue, here's some photos of today's project: rebadge & partial de-badge... Changed "sportage" to "sport". It was a happy accident, the reality was its too damn cold out to keep working as my fingers were frozen so I left it at "sport" and cleaned it up. I'll see what I think of it in a couple days but will likely de-badge the whole thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The steering wheel badge they sent was wrong but I figured I'd try it anyway since I can't seem to find the "VIP K" emblem steering wheel cap in anything but oval. I'm not fully convinced but I guess it's not horrible looking:

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
Timing belt is a BIGGGGG deal!
Read threads.

If it was me.....I'd not keep it on the steering wheel. Yuo are going to see it ALLLLL the time lol.
Not like "Sport" which I kinda like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha yeah I hear ya. I was driving to work today and I couldn't stop staring at the center of my steering wheel. It just looks weird. I'm wondering if a VIP K wheel cap might fit since its circular... hmm we'll see

As for the SPORT, its kinda growing on me... I'm still a pretty big fan of the complete de-badge on the ass-end. decisions decisions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great mod job! I brought my 2006 Sportage new and it is still going strong! The only major repair was this past month.. the radiator hose and a braking fluid line were leaking. I got that fixed... but there is also an engine oil leak that I couldnt afford to fix.. gonna do that next month.

I also have not changed the Timing belt. Geeez. Now i'm worried.

Things to also watch out for... my center console broke at the pivote arm. Cheap plastic I guess.. and the drivers side visor lost it's spring.. so it doesn't clip back up but just kind of hangs down.

Both of those items are expensive enough that I have not replaced them.

Questions:

You tinted just the front to match the rear?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
That steering wheel badge needs to go, its just the wrong fitment, looks out of place. Nice job otherwise, looks great.

·
Registered
Forte, Sportage
3 Posts
'K' Emblem

Hi Chuck

Nice mods!

Just a quick one, where did you get the K emblem set? Are they a good fit (except for the steering wheel)? And how much did they cost?

I have been looking for these for awhile now, but not confident of the fit as most sellers don't publish the size of the emblems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Kia sportage 2005
16 Posts
Looks like the timing belt snapped on him and he sent his car to the junk yard so no more updates....lol jk. Anymore updates man?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts