Here she is today with front windows tinted, new license plate covers, and new rims:
- black nerf bars (being installed tomorrow)
- double DIN stereo (Pioneer Appradio already purchased just need to install)
- upgrade factory component speakers (anyone have a DIY guide for this?)
- debadge/rebadge (VIP K logo ordered should arrive next week)
- may black out chrome on grille & new badges (depends on how they look chrome)
- xenon full front bulb replacement (ordered, should arrive next week)
- smoke headlights and taillights
- paint calipers
Thanks! I'm having lots of fun with my new hobby (tuning the crap out of this truck)
Here's the black powder coated nerf bars I added this week:
Next week I will be installing a Pioneer AppRadio, upgrading my front speakers/tweeters, & plasti-dipping the center fascia that surrounds the radio (currently is aluminum, will be matte black). Also, new Xenon headlights/foglights & new badges should be arriving this week!
- installed e-break switch
- added CableJive dockxtender cable to add length to my iPhone adapter from the AppRadio
- ran iPhone cable under center console trim and up through unused switch plate (normally designated for seat heater switch), the cable moved easily in & out... Looks sharp!
The most important part you may need to install is a new timing belt...
I see no mention of the mileage on your car BUT they really have to be replaced EVERY 5yrs or 60k miles.. I'd hate to have to see your post about your belt breaking and trashing the engine...
If you are on top of the belt replacements that's super...
I just want your toy to keep you happy...
I just phoned my local Kia dealer and it's $450 to replace the timing belt?! Holy sheet never expected that! What's the big worry with the timing belts anyway?
While I ponder this belt issue, here's some photos of today's project: rebadge & partial de-badge... Changed "sportage" to "sport". It was a happy accident, the reality was its too damn cold out to keep working as my fingers were frozen so I left it at "sport" and cleaned it up. I'll see what I think of it in a couple days but will likely de-badge the whole thing.
The steering wheel badge they sent was wrong but I figured I'd try it anyway since I can't seem to find the "VIP K" emblem steering wheel cap in anything but oval. I'm not fully convinced but I guess it's not horrible looking:
haha yeah I hear ya. I was driving to work today and I couldn't stop staring at the center of my steering wheel. It just looks weird. I'm wondering if a VIP K wheel cap might fit since its circular... hmm we'll see
As for the SPORT, its kinda growing on me... I'm still a pretty big fan of the complete de-badge on the ass-end. decisions decisions
Great mod job! I brought my 2006 Sportage new and it is still going strong! The only major repair was this past month.. the radiator hose and a braking fluid line were leaking. I got that fixed... but there is also an engine oil leak that I couldnt afford to fix.. gonna do that next month.
I also have not changed the Timing belt. Geeez. Now i'm worried.
Things to also watch out for... my center console broke at the pivote arm. Cheap plastic I guess.. and the drivers side visor lost it's spring.. so it doesn't clip back up but just kind of hangs down.
Both of those items are expensive enough that I have not replaced them.