Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to improve gas mileage on my 2007 2.7 liter V6 Sportage. It currently gets 23-24.5 MPG depending on driving conditions. Has anyone had experience with performance chips claiming to improve gas mileage by 3-7 MPG.

Any suggestions to improve gas mileage would be great. I would like to be in the 27 MPG range. Thanks. jt

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
They are extremly good at removing money from your pocket and that's about the ONLY thing they are good at... Unlike the diesel re-maping software found in the EU these "chips" (and that term is even wrong) do nothing to re-program the ECM..They only create errors that "fool" with the air/fuel mixture. The actual "value" of the parts is under $1.00 (usually a resistor)...
Please be careful and check out more than one "review" of the product you intend to buy...
Try to understand that the manufactors TRY to meet government requirements AND also give you the best mileage they possibly can at the same time... They can because they have access to the encoded program(s) in the ECM..Your attempts to improve mileage via add ons (BIG money makers for the sellers) won't improve mileage without causing problems (polution/engine damage from incorrect burn temperatures/reliabliity/etc...)
I found the "sweet" spot on my 06 Spectra to be just under 70mph highway around 68mph.. If I go over 70 my mpg drops quickly... I also found by accellerating slowly and keeping from fluctuating the accelerator quickly I can gain a couple of mpgs..
Without any extra "costs"...
Dave

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts