Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have a 2007 Spectra5. The map light will not come on when the doors are open, however, they work when switched on using the individual on/off switches. I have seen many posts that speak of the same problem with the Sorento but I cannot find a diode in the Sorento location (behind the left kick plate inside the wire bundle).
Has anyone had a similar problem with the Spectra5?

Thank you

George Hassman

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
They were wired that way from the factory....
Every Spectra we have owned I have added two rectifiers (1N4007) ...Each going to different map lamp grounds to the ground side of the dome lamps... I used two so the left and right map lights would not interact (turn on) when the other map light was turned on...

Both the map and dome lamps are turned on by grounding one side of the lamps... Either by turning the switches on or by the BCM (body control module) grounding the lamp(s)... so if you add a wire from the dome light to the inside of map lights to both anodes and then run cathodes of the rectifiers (banded end) to the grounded side of each map light ...then when the dome light comes on the map lights get grounded through the rectifiers and also come on... The rectifiers also prevent the dome light from coming on when a map light is turned on... The "loss" in voltage across the rectifiers is only .6volts and only slightly visible....

To find the "grounded side" of the map and dome lights just pull the lamp(s) out and look for +12V on one side...The side with no voltage is the grounded side. By removing the lamps you can't get +12v on both legs (feeding through the lamps)...

You can fish the one wire from the dome light through the headliner by using a piece of a wire coat hanger pushed from the fog light to the dome light and then taping the wire to the coat hanger and pulling it back to the map light...

. Rectifier symbols = ">I"
[Right map light ground ]--------- >I------- X
. X---------------------------(wire)----------- Dome light ground
[Left map light ground ]---------->I-------X

(The "X"s you tie together) The "I" on the rectifiers above means "cathode".... The ">" on the rectifiers is the unbanded end "anode"

Dave...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello DavesSpectra

Thank you for all the information. Your solution sounds easy enough. I'll go out tomorrow and buy the rectifier and do the wiring. It should be easy enough to pull a wire using a straightened out cloths hanger.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts