Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2007 Spectra shifts through all 4 gears normally, but will drop from 4th to 3rd and stay in 3rd until I shut the car off and restart. Sometimes it will happen very often but I have also gone weeks with no problem. I have changed the transmission filter and of course transmission oil. The vehicle has 250000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Have you "pulled" codes? Advance and Autozone will do it for free...
The check engine light does not need to be on for codes to be stored.
It's good to see a Spectra with that many miles on it...
I said they would do 300k miles and it looks like you may prove it.
You might want to check the plugs and connectors going to the transmission for corrosion inside. There is also a flexable printed circuit board in side the tranny that the solder connections can become crystalized. You have to do a lot of teardown (valve body) to get at it though...
Another good thing about these cars is they were undervalued and the engines and trannys are reasonably priced (engines w 30k $450~500, Trannys $350~450 with low miles). If you do the mechanical work yourself you can literally "rebuild your high mileage car for under $1000 for both... Check out both ebay and car-part.com for prices.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I had an 03 Spectra that had 315,000 miles on it, might still be running but I drove onto a flooded street and sucked water into the engine. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts