Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The check engine light on my 2007 Spectra SX came on last week and I got the following codes from it:

P2626
C0301
C0701

Today, I noticed the car hesitated on my drive to work. I was doing about 50kph and then the car started slowing down. There was no response from the car when I put my foot down on the pedal either. After about 10 seconds, the car was fine again.

It looks like the P2626 code is related to the oxygen sensor and I've placed an order for a new one given as far as I know it hasn't been replaced and is probably due up for replacement anyway. It should be in on Tuesday next week.

I can't seem to find any information about the two C trouble codes. They're not listed on the kiatechinfo website either. Does anyone have any information on them? Is there anything else I need to be doing or should I just try replacing the oxygen sensor and seeing how the car is afterwards?

I bought the car about a year ago and the warranty ran up in December. I've put 18,000 km on it in the past year (has just under 90,000 km on the odometer) and it's had regular oil changes and the air filter was changed late fall.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
It would really help us "if" you would fill out your CP (profile) so others would know where you are located and could figure out what "options" were available on your year/make/model of car...
I can "see" you are in the Thunder Bay area of Ontario Canada...

Since Hyundai and KIA "share" many drivetrain parts...this came from a Hyundai site.
"P2626 - HO2S Pumping Current Trim Circuit/Open (Bank 1 / Sensor 1)"

You "may" have the "traction control" option up there and the "C" codes you list seem to indicate a problem with it...

Here's a list of OBDII codes I've stored on my Google drive...
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57Xb0Qtb2daTDVKSkE/edit?usp=sharing

When I had the dash cluster apart to change my LEDs from "pea green" to white I did notice that there is a space for "TCS" (traction control system) lights. So that "option" may be available and on your Canadian Spectra.
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! I updated my CP a bit as per your suggestion. Apologies for not doing this beforehand.

I'll take a look at the car tomorrow (it's in use tonight) and I'll post another reply once I have a better idea with this lead. After reading up on traction control systems and its features it does appear to cover some of the symptoms I've been seeing with my vehicle.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
No apologies are needed...It just helps us to help you...
90,000km (54k miles) is very low for having O2 sensor problems. At least for loss of reading functions...I/We have sen some O2 sensors where the heated portion can some times fail at relatively low mileage so that might be your problem.
If you reset the codes do they return quickly? You may have a bad connection to the sensor(s) if they are intermittent.
Do you actually have traction control on your car as I have not "seen" one here in North America.
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first occurrence the check engine light came on was May 18 during a rainstorm. I didn't notice anything with the car the first time it came on. I bought a diagnostic reader on the 20th and cleared the codes on it (all 3 codes were present at the time).

The engine light didn't return until May 28 when I noticed a hesitation in the car during the afternoon. I cleared the code again, but it's since returned yesterday on the 30th after I noticed the 10 second hesitation on the gas pedal while driving that morning.

I did a brief check of the car before dark tonight and didn't see anything reference a Traction Control feature on the car either on the dash, the controls on the steering wheel or in the fuse box (both in the car or under the hood). I'm going to take another look at the car in the morning and might check the connections to wires that can be seen/accessed easily.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also mention with regards to the O2 sensor I've been averaging about 450km - 500km on a tank... city driving more recently but I was also finding similar usage on the highway previously. From about fall last year. That's another reason why I figured replacing the O2 sensor might not be a bad idea...

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
What I would consider an important "clue" is the mention of the problem first happening during a rainstorm....Water and electronics do not mix well. Possibly hitting a large amount of water can throw it into the fuse box, wiring harnesses, sensor plugs...Corrosion then happens from the water remaining behind and electrical connections between plugs/sockets at sensors or on wiring harnesses WILL cause strange (even phantom) codes ...Phantom meaning setting failure codes for features not even on the car but existing in the ECM/BCM/TCM microcomputers software (possibly written for other countries cars but not activated until two wires start talking to each other by mistake).

I have seen "features" in stereo equipment not enable in the USA but still there an activated with a simple jumper wire on the main board...RDS for example is in Europe but until fairly recently was not enabled in US units...

We just had a KIA Sonata here that water got into the driver's kick panel causing shorts between traces on a printed circuit board and it would not shut off the radiator fan and a few other items even when the ignition was off and the keys were removed...It does happen...
The hesitation could also be caused by confused ECM from corrosion problems also.
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can take a look over the car tomorrow. Admittingly I'm not that experienced when it comes to car experience but I am a computer/hardware enthusiast. Maybe I can look to see if something doesn't seem right between some of the connectors or wires under the hood?

I tend to avoid puddles in general and don't recall going through too many during the rainstorm the other week. When the engine light came on a second time it was a bright, warm sunny day. But I suppose that doesn't mean the damage couldn't have already been done.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Spark plugs used in the Spectras 2005~2009 I have found last only about 60K miles...If I can get the correct parts from RockAuto.com I will be replacing them in my 06 and a friends 08 Specs within the next 7~10 days...
My wife's 07 Spec I replaced the timing belt/AC Belt/ and spark plugs at 59k miles.. The plugs (Champions) were shot and one was actually broken with the center electrode ceramic insulator down covering the the electrode...

KIA used Champions in the KIAs through some sales campaign...although the engine was designed for NGKs or Denso plugs and runs better/longer with them.
yours (07) and mine (08) uses NGK BKR5EGP plugs gapped to .044"...Under $12 for all 4. Change them... and your mileage will probably improve...It did on my wifes car..
The timing belt MUST be replaced every 5yrs or 60k miles (100,000Kms).
If they break or loose teeth you WILL have major engine damage as the engine is an "interference" type engine.. Be extremely careful with the belts you buy..

Gates is OEM specked and exceeds KIA specs and has a limited lifetime warranty and the materials they use can go 100k miles (but I'll still replace at 60k)
The "subbed" just as good RoadMax brand belts supplied by RockAuto (with the SAME part #) has a 90 day warranty and does NOT meet original OEM specs and is suggest for cars with "high mileage"..

I have contacted them and they ARE replacing these garbage belts with GATES when I asked them "if" the will warranty the engines for 60k miles...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
The corrosion happens and the electrical paths will still have problems long after the water is gone... water and electricity cause a green copper oxide that will allow "new/wrong" paths..You have probably seen copper covered roofs on churches that have a green color...that is the corrosion I'm talking about.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
This is an "extreme" condition link but the "idea" is the same..
Used Cars and Car Water Damage: 2 Precautions to Take - CarsDirect
The problems can be "on going" long after the water is gone...
Early Sportages/Sonatas/Spectra-Sephia-Ceratos have on going problems with corrosion problems...especially ground wires bolted to the frame/body of the cars...

Our (2004.5~2009) Spectras have MUCH less problems but I still have seen ground problems with headlights and some under the hood connections on these forums.
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm well aware of the timing belt and asked about it when I bought the car. When it had its safety check the mechanic apparently said it was fine for the moment (at 70k km). If I can get this issue fixed up on my car I'll see about replacing the timing belt over the summer (I'll most likely pay for it as I am no where near experienced to do it myself).

Thank you for your suggestions and responses to my issue. I hope to get this sorted and post results of what was done to fix my car once everything has been sorted.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a better look at the car today, and will look at replacing the spark plugs when the oxygen sensor comes in hopefully on Tuesday.

I see where the ABS and TCS lights are on the dash but they aren't lit when I turn the ignition to run. I did notice that the fuses are in place for ABS. Would the dash lights light up if I removed the fuse for the ABS brakes? I'm assuming the TCS system would rely on ABS as well. I was thinking would it be worth taking off the ABS fuse and try driving to see if the car still hesitates now and then on acceleration.

I tried to take a look at some of the wires under the hood today but most are wrapped up inside casing and taped up with electrical tape. I also tried to take a look at the O2 sensor connection but couldn't manage to open the plug. I'm thinking I missed a latch somewhere on it.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the suggestion on spark plugs! I went and replaced them today and sure enough I pulled out Champions and they were definitely up for replacement.

The oxygen sensor came in today but the socket hasn't arrived yet. We weren't able to get the oxygen sensor off the car too easily so we figured we'd wait for the socket and do it properly. I'm also curious in seeing if there's any difference in the car with just changing the spark plugs.

A picture is worth a thousand words so I took a couple for you to show you the state they were in:

I didn't find the ABS or TCS system in the car so I'll wait to see if the codes return before troubleshooting further. Thanks again for your help thus far. I'll update the thread in a few days once with the results.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra SX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update.

The day after I changed the spark plugs the check engine light came on again, with both the P2626 and C codes I've been seeing. I swapped out the oxygen sensor, reset the engine codes and gave the car a test.

Since then, all has been well. The phantom codes have disappeared and everything has been running well. My fuel economy has gone up. I averaged 500km on a tank before the change and now I easily hit 700km afterwards.

Thanks for your help. My car is good to go for now. I'll see about getting the timing belt replaced in the next month or so.

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts