Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the need to mount some equipment in my vehicle and have chosen to use the footwell space just under the rear bench seat. Here's the question'. Can I safely drill 4 self tapping screws into the sheet metal here? I do't want to end up putting holes into important stuff.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
I have the need to mount some equipment in my vehicle and have chosen to use the footwell space just under the rear bench seat. Here's the question'. Can I safely drill 4 self tapping screws into the sheet metal here? I do't want to end up putting holes into important stuff.
Pretty sure the fuel tank is somewhere under there (axel protects it from the side, trunk and spare tire well protects from the back)... Might want to measure from underneath to determine where everything is, so when you put the screws in, you're not going to hit anything. If the screws are short enough it should be OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is precisely what prompted me to ask! Does anyone happen to know the measurement of space between the body and the fuel tank? Knowing what depth I could safely go to so I don't have to crawl I.der the car would be awesome.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
This is precisely what prompted me to ask! Does anyone happen to know the measurement of space between the body and the fuel tank? Knowing what depth I could safely go to so I don't have to crawl I.der the car would be awesome.
Have you considered mounting a bracket of sorts under the rear seat to come out and down, so you're not drilling your equipment into the bottom of the car? I would be leery of water entry and rust development. If you run your brackets back far enough, you may be able to use existing bolts (where the rear seat belts are bolted to the unibody??).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a brilliant thought. But alas, I need 4 COMPLETELY secure bolts. To utilize a secondary bracket would permit access to the mounting hardware. Given the item I'm going to be keeping here, that's just not acceptable. I'm thinking I'm just boned here. Maybe the rear deck would be best?

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
The gas tank is directly under the the rear seat. Ca'nt say for sure about the footwell, but I should think you would be ok. Why do'nt you take a peek unger your car?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
That is a brilliant thought. But alas, I need 4 COMPLETELY secure bolts. To utilize a secondary bracket would permit access to the mounting hardware. Given the item I'm going to be keeping here, that's just not acceptable. I'm thinking I'm just boned here. Maybe the rear deck would be best?
What are you mounting that requires that kind of security, and that putting it in the trunk would not work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts