Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blower just went out on my Spectra, caused by melting wires from the power source... 3 wires that are still salvageable, yet I have no idea what the connector piece is called that plugs into the blower itself... has 4 prongs, only three are used... this piece is very disintegrated, and we're lucky it didn't cause a fire...

Will Autozone, or O'Reilly possibly have a connector I can just hook up... and if so can anyone tell me the part number, or name of the sku I'm looking for?

Thanks for the help, still 90+ here in DFW, and could use the A/C a bit longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm assuming it's the plug in for the blower resistor, but all searches come up with the resistor part itself, and not the other connection end?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
jcruzanski..
First....Welcome!....
Next....That is not a blower resistor that is in the blower "cage"...It is a FET (field effect transistor) that is used to lower the voltage being fed the blower motor.
The best place for both pieces is your local bone yard.. The FET is real expensive at the dealer. The molded end you can get with say 6" leads from a harness of a donor car.
Just match the wire colors when splicing together the wires...
Spectras BEFORE 2007 are NOT compatable...look for 2007 and 2008 donors.
The connector is not available from the dealer...only the total wiring harness.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,

Thanks for the reply! And the welcome.

While I'm looking for a donor part, I'm assuming I can just un-shield the wires from the faulty connector and manually plug them in?

Temp fix, but should be operational...

·
Registered
5 Posts
DavesSpectra is completely right, I just want to add that I have seen this problem before and when you replace the connector to the FET your blower motor may need replaced because it may be the reason for the connector melting in the first place, drawing to much current. The motor not work or work off and on. Just saying that it would be a good idea to replace it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an update...

I stripped back the ground wire? (black) that was melting... and it was broken, pretty close to where another little black wire was joining it, and the same size black wire was spliced into it, I'm assuming where the blower speed is controlled? I dunno. I re-connected everything back to how it was when I took it apart, no more excessive heat... which is nice, but now the defrost vents stay on all the time... I can switch it around to feet, face and feet, A/C works... but even when the dial is at the 'Off' position, the blower still blows???

Any ideas... did I re-wire this incorrectly?

The grounds were spliced with a little brass connector when I dissasembled it, I put them back together with regular wire connectors...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I disconnect the tiny black wire.. I'm assuming that's ground for a 4 pronged connection for the blower switch? Sorry I don't know the technical terms... the system doesn't run... connnected it does, just ignores the dial off... if that makes any sense...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, hopefully, what I'm talking about...

There is a 4 wire connection closer to the actual snail of the blower, which is fine... that is where the tiny black wire was fed into the larger gauge black wire coming out of the harness, which also has the power...

the part that melted on my car is the 3 wire connection just toward the driver side of the 4 wire connection...

I'm quite confused on why the blower won't turn off now...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't find one, it's the one originally in the car... it's not the blower that is malfunctioning in my case... just wiring issues I think at this point.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,239 Posts
Really curios, how did you find a blower for your spetcra? My friend has been looking for one forever. He finely had to settel for a turbo insted cuz they told him nobuddy made a blower for kias.

Thanks

Larry
Your telling me your Kia came with a blower from the factry? Is it some kinda specsial edition? How much boost is it running? Do you have a pic? I just have trubble beleving this. :puzzled:
Take a little time to read the first post in this thread, and you should have some understanding of what 'blower' is being discussed.

Earlier responders didn't appear to have any difficulty in this regard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts