Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a trip my wifes Sorento started misfiring.I got it home & took to Advance Autoparts to get the codes.It had a random misfire,misfire cyl.2,misfire cyl.4,& crankshaft/camshaft correlation code.I read a lot on line about those codes,so I pulled the intake & removed & checked the OCVs.Both ckd. good,so I cleaned them & reassembled everything.Car ran good the first time I ran it down the road.But then started doing the same thing.I removed the camshaft position sensors & they were pretty gummed up,so I cleaned them & reinstalled.I went to road test & the MIL was on.While the car was running,I cleared the codes & it ran fine about a mile down the road & back.I let it sit a while & when I drove again it started misfiring again.If I clear codes while it's running,it'll run fine for about 10-15 miles,then it starts again.Can anyone help me out w/this headache?We have a trip planned soon about 300 miles away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On my lunch break I just pulled the codes again & all I got was the crankshaft/camshaft correlation code.Cleared while running & straightened right out.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
If your crank and cam codes keep popping up then I would look into replacing them. The cam sensor is the easier of the 2. The crank sensor requires timing belt removal.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
From what I understand this 3.8 has timing chain,not belt.Duel over head cams.
Your probably right. I have an 03 with a TB so I speak from that experience. I am not sure where or how the cam and crank sensors are located or removed on a 3.8.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
If the cam sensors were "gummed up", then that it a bad sign. Is it oil sludge?

If it is, it is possible that there is a problem with the CVVT system, or there is a timing issue from a problem with the chains. These engine don't like dirty oil and sludge(actually no engine does), the CVVT systems are delicate and the oil ports to operate them and the chain tensioners are very small. I have seen a few of thee engines with wiped out timing components(stretched chains, broken guides, sticking tensioners, etc), because of lack of lubrication from sludge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the cam sensors were "gummed up", then that it a bad sign. Is it oil sludge?

If it is, it is possible that there is a problem with the CVVT system, or there is a timing issue from a problem with the chains. These engine don't like dirty oil and sludge(actually no engine does), the CVVT systems are delicate and the oil ports to operate them and the chain tensioners are very small. I have seen a few of thee engines with wiped out timing components(stretched chains, broken guides, sticking tensioners, etc), because of lack of lubrication from sludge.
Yea that's what I was thinking too.I think I'm going to try to put some Seafoam in w/the engine oil,run a few days & change the oil & filter, w/a Kia filter,& make sure I use the right weight oil.Then see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Yea that's what I was thinking too.I think I'm going to try to put some Seafoam in w/the engine oil,run a few days & change the oil & filter, w/a Kia filter,& make sure I use the right weight oil.Then see what happens.
Marvel Mystery Oil works good too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts