Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 07 Sorento LX that is misfiring and a CEL on for crank POS / camshaft POS sensor correlation problem. P0018 and P0300 (misfires 2/4 cylinders).

I have changed out the crank and camshaft POS sensors along w/ ignition coil to number 2 and 4 cylinders. Still running rough w/ flashing CEL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Do you have the 3.3L or 3.8L engine. Has any work been done to the engine recently? How many miles on it? Where are you located? Once we know answers to these questions we can help you further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.. Just found out it has sludge on the oil cap (oil/coolant mix). Is this contributing to the problem or is in fact THE problem..

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
When was the last time the oil was changed? Usually the P0018 code is incorrect timing - or the engine is getting the wrong reading and THINKS the timing is off. If you have a lot of sludge, it COULD throw off the sensor/tone wheel relationship. You might want to yank the valve covers and make sure the cam tone wheel is intact....the engine relies on the signal from the camshafts to determine fuel timing and spark timing, so it could easily cause misfires.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just noticed you said coolant....blown head gasket? Has the engine ever been overheated?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Pull the dipstick...what does the oil in the crankcase look like? Is it dark brown/black or is it light brown and milky - like the color of chocolate ice cream?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Then it sounds like you may just have some residual crankcase gunk on your oil cap. You said you have replaced the sensors. Anyone else want to weigh in? Has the engine always had regular oil changes?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
If its an 07 it should be a 3.8L.

Start with an oil change with good 5-20 or 5-30 and a Kia filter. Sludge could can cause low oil pressure which will cause CVVT components to not work correctly, which can cause incorrect timing and misfires, poor performance, faults codes(especially P0016 and P0018), etc. Also make sure all parts of the oil filter cap are intact. There is a post that has an o-ring on it, and if the post is broken off or missing, or the o-ring is missing or damaged, it can cause low oil pressure. I attached a parts picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

I have also seen the camshaft sensor tone wheels, which should be bolted to the back of the camshafts on yours, come loose and fall off. The valve covers will need to be removed to check this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah, the tone wheel is only held on with a single bolt, I could see where it might be able to come loose. It's not backwards threaded, either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys! I'm going to take the valve cover off next to inspect that tone wheel. So you dont think the head gasket is faulty?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Is there a good deal of thick white smoke whenever it runs? Does the exhaust smell "sweet"? Is your coolant reserve tank extremely low/empty? If not - and your oil isn't light milky brown, your gasket is fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in Alabama,& I've been having the same problem w/my 2007 Sorento.We bought it used& after about a month of no problems it started the same thing.I can hook a code reader to it & when I clear the codes it runs fine as long as it is under a little load.I you stop at a light or try to just cruise under 50mph.It starts again.I was thinking maybe a tensioner or something maybe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts