Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it to a local mechanic and he filled the system adding a dye to see where the leak may be. No results. The Freon lasted about 4 days. Took it to the dealer and the replied with it just needed Freon. They filled it and it lasted about a week. Took it back and they acknowledged that there must be a leak. They want to start with replacing the compressor $1200. Quote " let's start with the compressor". No idea where the leak actually might be. Need some ideas. The local guy says he could replace the compressor for about $700 but he asked me if the compressor "was" leaking? I have no clue

·
Registered
32 Posts
Took it to a local mechanic and he filled the system adding a dye to see where the leak may be. No results. The Freon lasted about 4 days. Took it to the dealer and the replied with it just needed Freon. They filled it and it lasted about a week. Took it back and they acknowledged that there must be a leak. They want to start with replacing the compressor $1200. Quote " let's start with the compressor". No idea where the leak actually might be. Need some ideas. The local guy says he could replace the compressor for about $700 but he asked me if the compressor "was" leaking? I have no clue
So, when the 'local mechanic' checked for leaks...did he/she check in the passenger compartment? Parts of the A/C system is located within the dash and if leaking there, it would be harder to detect. Might need to use a Freon detector instead of dye...Freon detector can 'sniff' out sources of Freon leaks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts