Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm about to tackle the rear brakes on our 2007 Rondo and had a few questions about them. I've had a little experience doing the front brakes on my Chev and my Honda without any problems, but this is my first time on the Kia and my first time doing rear brakes in general.

As I understand from reading the forum, they're a combination disc/drum on the back and the drum is the emergency brake. When removing the caliper to change the rotors do I need to do anything different to accommodate the e-brake or is that a different system altogether?

When doing brakes in the past I used a large 'C' clamp to press in the caliper cylinder after installing the new pads, will that work with the Rondo or is it the type that needs to be twisted as it's pressed back?

Lastly, when taking off the winter tires earlier this year, one of the lugs was cross threaded and wound up shearing off the stud instead of threading off. I intended to replace the stud while I was doing the brake work, is that a tough job and how would I go about doing it?

Thanks guys, any help is MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Have you ever changed rear drum brakes? If you have, the rear is just a regular disc, but the rotor hat is the drum for the e-brake, same type of hardware and installation with springs and all that jazz.

Is the stud that needs replacing on a front or rear wheel? I had to replace on the front, stupid Firestone cross-threaded one... It was a pain, had to pull the knuckle with the hub attached. If you have access to a shop press, you will need that to separate the hub from the knuckle. After you pull the ring out with large snap ring pliers, you can use a press to seperate the hub. If you don't (like me), you can use a Dremel to cut away a portion of the metal shield on the back of the hub, enough for a stud to fit though, then beat the old one out. To install the new one, I got a stack of washers that fit around the new stud, then used a lug nut and an impact gun to tighten it down, "drawing" it into place.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never do anything the easy way apparently, it's a rear stud. :)

And I don't have much experience with drums, is it a tricky process to put it back together?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Rear stud may be a little easier than the front.

You can register on KGIS for free, lots of good diagrams for reference. I went ahead and attached PDF's of the instructions for the rear disc brake and parking brake repair procedures. For what it's worth, I've always hated rear drum. Really though, your parking brake shouldn't have any wear unless you are trying to use it for e-brake turns... which I doubt, lol.

You can check the brake thread for more info on what parts others have used.

Don't forget to fill out your details (Engine, trim level, geographic location, etc). It helps the rest of the forum users help you better. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton for these, they're exactly what I was hoping to find! I didn't even know about that kia site, thanks for that as well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2003 Kia Carens(Rondo), had to buy a wind back tool to get the caliper to wind back check out Ebay as I bought a complete set, not just one that fits the Carens, will be better value in the long run paid £21, tried the G-clamp but it did not work. Its a pretty staightforward operation, mine was the disk type, no drum at all, I renewed the disks, pads, and the rubber mounts that hold the carrier pins, the rubber mounts are only a few £'s from the dealer, and really are a must to renew.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4cyl. 5 pass.
510 Posts
The Rondo brake caliper doesn't need to be threaded back. It just pushes straight back so no need for special tool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Kia Carens(Rondo), had to buy a wind back tool to get the caliper to wind back check out Ebay as I bought a complete set, not just one that fits the Carens, will be better value in the long run paid £21, tried the G-clamp but it did not work. Its a pretty staightforward operation, mine was the disk type, no drum at all, I renewed the disks, pads, and the rubber mounts that hold the carrier pins, the rubber mounts are only a few £'s from the dealer, and really are a must to renew.
Can you tell me.......?

Was this a right hand wind back?

Many thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts