Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Not terribly hard. If you have changed your brakes before it is just a few more steps. Been a while, but here is what I remember.

Remove Tire
Loosen Brake Calipers
Remove Pads
Remove Calipers, Carefully rest them where the break lines are not effected
Remove Rotors
Wash hands to remove break dust
Remove grease cap from axle, try not to bend it. Flathead used carefully will usually do it
Remove retaining pin, do not get it dirty
I think there is a washer? Might not be, can't remember, remove it
Dive into the grease and grab the old one
Run you finger around, remove as much grease as possible
Wash hands again, no pumice
Put grease in your palm and press new bearing into your palm until completely greased (Continue putting new grease into palm as needed for packing the bearings)
Place new bearing in
Put a palm of grease into area of bearing
Replace everything

Don't forget to wash hands again when switching from grease cap, to break caliper. Grease on breaks = not pretty

You also might just change both since you'll be doing one anyway. (Good time to change break pads too) :D

Hope this helps.

I really can't remember. That washer (if there is one?) might be threaded. You might need to borrow a tool, or get creative. Sorry I can't remember.

Perhaps someone else will respond too.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I boiught the bearing last night. Looks like the sealed type that needs to be pressed in. Maybe Kia changed the bearing type when it came to 2007?

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Study it well. It will have a lock nut to hold it in.

Same steps just more delicate to get out and put back in.

No grease is a bonus.

Take everything off as normal. Remove pin from nut. Neetle nosed should be fine. Make sure of thread direction on shaft. Remove bolt.

The bearing is probably behind another plate once again, not sure. If so, small Alan wrench or flat head used for fixing glasses should get it out.

Depending on the wear of the old bearing determines how hard it will be to get out. (Make sure you have jack stands under the car, a brick behind the back wheel etc. Don't let the car fall) Study the new piece. See if there is an area that can be grabbed, plied, plulled etc. Don't foget, the car should be pretty stable so if you can get hold you can shake the exposed axle itself from side to side to get it out.

Once it is out you need to check for any damage the old one might have caused. Look for any scaring pitting etc on the axle. If present the new bearing will only postpone you having to replace that side.

Putting the new one in is much easier. Put it in as far as you can with out much pressure. Replace washer. Put on the nut and tighten until the pin hole matches up with the origional tightness. Reinstall the pin. Wash up, and reinstall all the rest.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 06
1 Posts
Not terribly hard. If you have changed your brakes before it is just a few more steps. Been a while, but here is what I remember.

Remove Tire
Loosen Brake Calipers
Remove Pads
Remove Calipers, Carefully rest them where the break lines are not effected
Remove Rotors
Wash hands to remove break dust
Remove grease cap from axle, try not to bend it. Flathead used carefully will usually do it
Remove retaining pin, do not get it dirty
I think there is a washer? Might not be, can't remember, remove it
Dive into the grease and grab the old one
Run you finger around, remove as much grease as possible
Wash hands again, no pumice
Put grease in your palm and press new bearing into your palm until completely greased (Continue putting new grease into palm as needed for packing the bearings)
Place new bearing in
Put a palm of grease into area of bearing
Replace everything

Don't forget to wash hands again when switching from grease cap, to break caliper. Grease on breaks = not pretty

You also might just change both since you'll be doing one anyway. (Good time to change break pads too) :D

Hope this helps.

I really can't remember. That washer (if there is one?) might be threaded. You might need to borrow a tool, or get creative. Sorry I can't remember.

Perhaps someone else will respond too.

New to the Kia Scene, my wife just bought an 06 Rio in the spring and the driver side wheel bearing is starting to go. I just wanted to know if you had to use a press to get the new bearing in.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had it done. They let me buy a bearing and they installed it.
Good luck with yours

1 - 7 of 7 Posts