Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 2.4L Optima with 72,000 miles. All I have ever done was change the oil and brake pads. My Transmission fluid is a little brown, not really to bad still has a pink hue to it. I notice when I change the oil there is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Seems like an easy thing to drain and refill

When does the maintenance schedule say change the Trans fluid?

Does the transmission have a filter ?

Would you change it or let it go, I've not had any problems with the transmission or car at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do a drain-and-fill every 30K miles. I get out between 4 and 4.5 quarts when I do it. This may be a little overkill, since there is no required ATF maintenance in the manual (except to "inspect" it). But my transmission is still great, and I feel better. It's not difficult at all to do.

Lee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why change fluid?

So, If I have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and the service schedule is 105k mile for a ATF change, why would i change it, it's covered under warranty if the trans has problems right?

I'm just wondering that If I do change it, it could possibly give the dealer a reason not to cover it, but If I leave it in and don't touch it, theres not much they can say.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
SHERM
Your "logic" doesn't hold water... " why would i change it, it's covered under warranty if the trans has problems right? "...

Why not use the same logic for the engine oil??...The engine would be covered if you had problems "if" you didn't replace the oil....WRONG!!!!

The transmission fluid should be drained and replaced EVERY 30k miles on my 06 Spectra and my wife's 07 Spectra as per the owners manuals. I believe the Optima has the same schedule... Yours with 72k miles you have on it should have been drained and refilled twice.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I you read your owners manual, Normal service is inspect only, but Severe service is replace every 18K miles. This does seem bit extreme to me, as 30 or even 60k should suffice.

The point of following the maint. schedule isn't just to satisfy warranty requirements, its to extend the life of the components, and the vehicle overall, past the warranty period. If you plan on keeping the car after the warranty expires, then it would be in your best interest to change it. If you don't plan on keeping it past 100k, then don't do anything and hope for the best. Bottom line, its your car, so its your call.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
My sentiments exactly. Since I enjoy driving this car and fully expect to keep my Optima quite a while longer, I have always performed the simple drain and fill maintenance myself at about 30K miles, using the factory spec SP III fluid, which is only about $7 a quart, even at my local dealer. Doesn't take very long to roll it up on the ramps, just like an oil change, and the car still runs like new. If only to ensure your own peace of mind, I too recommend the regular service. My last car, a V-6 Grand Am had gone over 200,000 miles when I bought this one, and I never had any worries or problems with that transmission either, even though that car was all too soon out of warranty and not nearly as reliable or well made as this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and changed the Trans fluid. Your right it was a piece of cake, I changed the oil at the same time, I'll do it again the next time I change the oil, then do it on a 30k interval. The fluid was almost solid black, the only reason I didn't change it again after a few miles was I'm a little concerned it will clean it so fast I'll have problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts