Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been having intermittent issues with my blinkers staying steady (this is what happens 98% of the time) or my parking lights and blinker stay a steady color but it happens only on one side of the car. It used to be the passenger side and then it stopped for over 6 months and now it's the right side.

I brought it to a local mechanic who said it was probably the BCM but since the lights went off on their own as we were talking, he couldn't say for sure. I then brought it to Kia and same thing, it started working fine so they also said BCM but weren't sure. I called to get a price for a BCM since it started messing up again but they asked what kind and what is controlled and the parts department wasn't sure which one to give me a quote on.

So, what is going on? Does it sound like the Body Control Module? Or something else?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Not sure what you mean by steady color, the turn signal does not flash? Parking (running) lights are not involved with turn signal function. Possible thought here may be a problem inside the turn signal /light switch stalk unit on the steering column. Have you replaced any of those particular bulbs before this started happening?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blinker turns on and stays on. It does not flash. Just one steady color on the dash and with the light itself.

My dad also did not think the parking lights were not involved with the signal function so we are stumped how both things are messing up.

No, I have not replaced any of those bulbs.

It's so intermittent. It started happening about 2 years ago. Would stay bad for a week, then nothing for months. Now it's been about 6 months since it last messed up and now it happens daily. If I flip the turn switch on and off frantically, it eventually goes off.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Chances are you do have a bad BCM and the best place to get a replacement is a local salvage/junk yard...
The part# is on the BCM and the BCM is located behind the fuse panel in the cab of the car...
The BCM is connected to the system via plug in connections and a few bolts...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody!

Dave, I have to get this fixed before I leave for vacation on Thursday and won't have time to do it on my own. Any idea of a cost if I go to the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
I would NOT go to a KIA dealer... They will charge you a diagnostic fee and then tell you that the BCM will cost BIG $$$ to replace...
A salvage or pull-a-part yard will be your best bet...
Anyone with some mechanical knowledge can replace the BCM...Just requires a little patience...
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave,

I've read several of your posts, and you've helped me figure out a few things here....
Remaining question:
My 07 Spectra needs the BCM/Junction Box assembly replaced. Parts stores are asking around $310 for this part.
I've noticed there are a lot of small variations on this part number, I imagine for the year of the car 07-09.
I believe I need part #91950-2F830 but have found one on e-bay listed for a 07-09 spectra with the last two digits of that part number as 50 (instead of 30). Part looks the same, but wondering if it will work. Cost $38
Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
That is just a newer built unit... The Spectra BCM doesn't need to be "married" like other units... Just plug and play for most functions..
Your key fobs may require you have the dealer reprogram the BCM though...
Some of the newer cars require dealer programming of VIN #s in replacement MPUs..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
BCM IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE 30 WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR. UNABLE TO R&R BCM.
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
BS BCM IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE 30 WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR. UNABLE TO R&R BCM.

I have removed and replaced multiple BCMs in Spectras with little problems... There are bolts going through the fuse side of the BCM that must be unscrewed... They do not need to be removed completely just loosened enough that they move freely... They are retained and will not come out... Take pictures with your phone to use as a guide to reassemble with new donor BCM...Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts