Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorrento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Kia Sorento that continuously stalls while driving. It is a danger to drive not only to myself but others on the road! So now I have stopped driving it. It would take too much time detailing all of the fixes and the costs I’ve gone thru trying to chase down the issue. I have read now that there is a recall but it starts at year 2011! What about my 2007 that has the same exact issue that is being recalled???

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
746 Posts
Are you the original owner? If yes, are you over 100K miles. If yes, your out of warranty.
Nothing else to add at this time with lack of information provided.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorrento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not the original owner and it is over 100,000 miles. The car runs incredible besides it turning off while driving!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,844 Posts
If the engine cut out, a code will be stored, so best get that read at AutoZone.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorrento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s been checked out, there are no codes. Which is part of the problem we can’t figure out what the issue is.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,844 Posts
It’s been checked out, there are no codes. Which is part of the problem we can’t figure out what the issue is.
Sorry, I didn't notice that.

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
82 Posts
Maybe it is a fueling issue...which if there is, it may not set off any codes. You may have a clogged fuel filter which is part of the fuel pump assemble, which is inside the fuel tank. I believe Kia recommends replacing the filter every 60K miles or so???

Also, maybe the fuel pump itself or something along the fuel feed lines is going out. If possible, I would have someone check the fuel pressure (if possible, under load) to make sure it is within spec.

If your engine is not getting enough fuel, it could stall out as you described.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorrento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice swampdodo. I think I should change my title to Turns Off or Shuts Down. It’s definitely electrical. The car literally turns off while I’m driving it. I’ve had fuel filters clogged in the past with my old Chevy and it would chug and then die but I still had the radio and dash lights. My Kia turns off. I have to get to the side of the road and restart it or it will restart it’s self while driving. I’ve researched this issue on the web and there’s hundred that I’ve read with this same issue. There is a recall in regard to this issue which has some thing to do with an update of some sort, it’s unclear to me as of yet as the recall is fairly new. But the recall year starts at 2011. If it’s the same issue kia should back it. I’m going to start looking into that.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,836 Posts
What about my 2007 that has the same exact issue that is being recalled???
Recall or service campaign?? Can you point us to something specific - the detail might tell us what Kia is fixing in a different vehicle (only the name is the same really).

I have been through NHTSA safety recalls, Kia TSBs and complaints etc on carcomplaints.com (over 240 in quantity for 2011 my) and cannot find anything that matches the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
82 Posts
Good advice swampdodo. I think I should change my title to Turns Off or Shuts Down. It’s definitely electrical. The car literally turns off while I’m driving it. I’ve had fuel filters clogged in the past with my old Chevy and it would chug and then die but I still had the radio and dash lights. My Kia turns off. I have to get to the side of the road and restart it or it will restart it’s self while driving. I’ve researched this issue on the web and there’s hundred that I’ve read with this same issue. There is a recall in regard to this issue which has some thing to do with an update of some sort, it’s unclear to me as of yet as the recall is fairly new. But the recall year starts at 2011. If it’s the same issue kia should back it. I’m going to start looking into that.
Wow, that's worse. That could be almost anything...intermittent short, bad ignition switch, any number of wiring issues...could even be the PCM itself. You may need to find a shop that deals specifically with diagnostics of electrical issues.

By the way, how's the battery and alternator...wonder if a battery with a loose plate can cause the electrical system to shut down like that???

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
82 Posts
One other thing, the 2011 (starting with 2010 in the US) and beyond is completely different from the 2003-05/06-09, which were 'truck' based rear wheel drive vehicles. Truck based in that it has body on a separate full frame with rear wheel/4 wheel drive. In the US, the 2010 and on were car based...crossovers, if you will, with front wheel drive/awd. Totally different in every way, including the electrical system.

Wondering...I use to own a Cherokee (XJ)...those were notoriously known to just stop running because the crank position sensor goes bad, but on the Sorento, I would have thought that it would set off a code...but since it doesn't, I would start at the PCM and move down stream from there.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorrento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swampdodo thanks for the info! We bought a brand new battery, new alternator and new ignition among other things :/

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorrento
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,836 Posts
I suspect that recall relates to 4 cylinder (2.4lt & 2.0lTurbo) gas engines. Like you said it is not 'stalling' rather a 'shutdown'. If the engine stalled I would expect expect dash lights to come on, not go out.

With no DTC (error codes), I'm begining to wonder if it not something like a bad ground cable with an intermittent connection. (I mean from the battery to engine/body) If that goes it would shut down.

After it shuts down what happens? Does it re-start immediately, after a period (cooldown?) ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts