Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys .. having just completed the serpentine belt replacement on my 2007 Hyundai Entourage .. i figured I'd share my "HOW TO". Once again, I realize that there are incredibly talented mechanics out there -- I'm just not one of them. As a result, I write stuff for those of us who were never lucky enough to have autoshop.

Here's goes ...
1. remove the "idiot cover" a.k.a .. that big plastic cover with the Hyundai logo blocking your access to the engine. Use a 10MM socket wrench and you'll have it off in no time.
2. Grab a 19MM socket, because we're going to press on the nut of the tensioner relief.
3. So here's a photo of the left side of the engine with the idiot cover removed. See my new belt?

4. Now we need to get our socket wrench on the right nut. There's a lot of nuts in there, but only one we want. I've placed my Craftsman socket wrench (it belonged to my grandfather and has been used for well over 30+ years).

5. Push the handle counter-clockwise (towards the firewall) and just press and hold. You'll feel the tension release right away.

6. Now, the fun part, putting your belt back on. For those that forget that you probably need to A. take a picture of what your old belt looks like or B. get a copy of a belt diagram - I've included my badly hand sketched but accurate belt diagram.

·
Registered
1999 Hyundai Elantra Wagon, 2003 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Sedona, 2007 Hyundai Tucson
48 Posts
That's a very helpful post, thanks. I'll be doing this next week.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I believe this is what you are looking for:

·
Registered
Spectra, Sedona, Rondo Sportage
3 Posts
Power Steering loss when wet, A/C not working properly.

I've just replaced the serpentine belt on my 2006 Kia Sedona, thanks for the info. I knew my belt needed replacing, because when it rained or driving through a puddle of water, I would lose power steering and you could hear the belt squeel. Having ignored the needed change for more than a year, the car developed a problem with the air conditioning system. It was putting out cool air, but not cold air, not nearly like the car originally had. I serviced up the A/C, but could not get it to cool and the pressures were not quite where they should be, the high pressure was too low and the low pressure too high, made no sense. I thought the compressor was going bad. Now that the belt has been changed, the air is as cold as it ever was and all the pressures are right where they should be. Apparently, the compressor was slipping, but I couldn't tell because the dry slip made no noise.

Morale of the story: Change the serpentine belt before it is worn out. You save yourself a lot of grief and underperformance of the systems that rely upon it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts