Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona EX 3.8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

The strangest thing has been happening to my Kia recently. The first thing started as a small squealing noise from the engine compartment that only last 3-4 seconds and would happen ever 30-40 seconds. The really weird thing is when this would happen, all of the interior lights and headlights would noticeably dim for that 3-4 seconds with the squeal.

Than stopped after 2-3 days and hasn't came back. Then about a week later my brake light switch went out, causing a service engine light. Replaced that, engine light out all is well. Until...

Now what's happening is every so often, while driving normally, the ABS, ESC OFF and Brake Lights on the dashboard will blink on and off AS WELL AS the Clock / Temp in the upper console (on the roof) Almost as if Im turning the key on and off. This happened for a period of anywhere between 5-15 seconds. What I find weird is that those are the only lights that are affected. The Clock on the Upper Front of the dash, as well as the radio and interior lights do not flash.

The battery was replaced 6 months ago and was tested by Autozone as being good as well as the alternator showed no signs of problems.

So now what? :eek:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Greetings,

Recommend posting your questions over at the Sedona forum on the site:

Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+ - Kia Forum

where other owners of your specific vehicle may read and help,

re: belt squeal, it could just be a loose or worn belt, but if it was my ride, I would be inspecting each component driven by the belt, e.g. alternator, any idler / adjustment pulley(s), etc. - and installing and properly tensioning a new replacement belt,

re: lights dimming - that does sound like the alternator.. if the vehicle is high-mileage and original alternator, I would be checking it w/o belt on to make sure the pulley is turning freely with no sounds or restriction, any 'clicking' or noises' when turning free-hand, I'd be suspect of an internal issue..

re: dash lights blinking - your vehicle incorporates advanced electronics, so I don't have a clue why those lights would be 'blinking' vs. other lights remaining steady on in the vehicle. If I was to guess: it sounds like some type of (??) relay issue, but would encourage you to re-post over on the forum above, and try using the forum (search) feature to see if you come up w/ a previous post related to your issue..

HTH & Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would think that if you hear a squealing on again off again and lasting for 30-40 seconds sounds like your belt while running the ac. When you have you ac on the clutch will engage and disengage while it is running. So as it engages it puts a load on the belt and if the belt is old or the has lost tension then it could be a possibility

1 - 3 of 3 Posts