Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX, V6, 5 Seater
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 Kia Rondo EXV6 Check Engine light/trouble starting

The check engine light is on in my car. When I try to start it cold it takes quite a few tries rolling over before it finally catches, and then chugs along for a bit before smoothing out at idol. When the car warms up it runs and sounds like it always does. I had a friend put his code reader on the car to get the codes and it came back as a P0171 & P0172 Bank 1 & 2, system lean. Does anyone know what these codes mean? Have you seen this before? Thank You

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info, Too bad it dose not narrow down the problem a little better so I would know what to replace exactly. Does it seem odd that one code mean system to lean and one means system too rich?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced spark plugs and air filter, added fuel injector cleaner to the gas and had the codes cleared to remove the check engine light. I had hoped that a glitch had set off the check engine light but no such luck:( the light came back on, guess this means a trip to the Kia Dealer this week to have the problem diagnosed

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Replaced spark plugs and air filter, added fuel injector cleaner to the gas and had the codes cleared to remove the check engine light. I had hoped that a glitch had set off the check engine light but no such luck:( the light came back on, guess this means a trip to the Kia Dealer this week to have the problem diagnosed
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Supposed to be replaced every 56000 km. Also the fuel tank air filter should be replaced every 48000 km.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good idea, we were talking about that today. Do you think that would set off the check engine light and those 2 codes? Either way, Ill get those changed this week Thank you for the advice! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thats a good idea, we were talking about that today. Do you think that would set off the check engine light and those 2 codes? Either way, Ill get those changed this week Thank you for the advice! :)
You are most welcome.

I don't know for sure if those filters being dirty or clogged would throw those particular codes. Maybe call a Kia service department and ask them for advice regarding those codes.

Anyway, it may be a simple place to start since the conditions you describe of hard start and initial rough idle can be caused by a dirty fuel filter. Although several other things can cause it too, the filters are a good place to start in my opinion.

Sometimes a new gas cap can help with the "check engine" light too but I think it shows up as a different code.

I should also mention to not use ethanol or methanol blended fuel. We were stuck with no other option a couple times over the years. Stalled a couple times on both occasions. I can only surmise it was the ethanol or methanol blended fuel but don't have proof of it. Kia has specific warning about both in the manual anyways and you can read about what ethanol blended fuel does to your car here. Also, don't "top up" you gas tank. When the pump licks off the first time, that's it.

Curt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually stopped in at my local Kia Dealer and pulled the mechanic aside to ask about the codes. He said the two codes didnt make sense to him as they were opposites, one means running too lean, the other means running too rich. He said he would start with the tune up, clear the codes and see if they come back, which they did. So I think I will look into doing those 2 filters you mentioned then if that dosent work, Ill have to suck up the $60/hr for the dealer to diagnose it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I actually stopped in at my local Kia Dealer and pulled the mechanic aside to ask about the codes. He said the two codes didnt make sense to him as they were opposites, one means running too lean, the other means running too rich. He said he would start with the tune up, clear the codes and see if they come back, which they did. So I think I will look into doing those 2 filters you mentioned then if that dosent work, Ill have to suck up the $60/hr for the dealer to diagnose it.
I wish our Kia dealer was $60/hr. Most Kia shops around us are around the $110/hr mark. I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
Ill have to suck up the $60/hr for the dealer to diagnose it.
Wow, what dealer is that, mine is $99/hr, even independent garages are higher than that! Can't believe any dealer would be that cheap, particular in Toronto.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I'd be looking at a possible bad O2 sensor, or something only on Bank1. A restricted fuel filter would cause problems on both banks and a restricted fuel tank air filter wouldn't cause those codes. Being that its setting both lean and rich codes on one bank is fishy. The best and cheapest thing to do would be to get it properly diagnosed before throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, ok so obviously I under estimated the shop rate! But dropped my car off at the dealer to have this problem figured out. Ill let you know what happens, Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi JeromeM I just left you a message on your own post :) The dealer has had my car for a week now. I picked a bad week to just drop it off and say I dont want it back till its fixed. The main Mechanic was on hoildays last week, but he is back now. Kia Canada suggested updating the computer in the car and that got done. They think thats all it took to fix it but I asked them to keep it and drive it for another day just to make sure. I hope the mechanic took it home tonight as he has a half hour drive, if the check engine light dosent come on for him then I will pick up my car tomorrow. Ill let you know what happens. Funny we have alot of the same symptoms in our cars.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6, 2007 GMC Sierra
18 Posts
ok yes either post on mine or reply to this thread with an update that would be much appreciated. Hope yours gets fixed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, the mechanic was going to take for a drive today, about an hour, but when it didnt quite start right he chickened out. So they went back to the drawing board. First phone call I got today said they were leaning towards needing a new computer, nothing $2000 cant fix, I said no, keep looking. Second call said they were going to change the fuel tank air filter for $130, they werent sure but thought they should change it. reluctantly I agreed. They ran a fuel pressure test and finally I think we have the answer. The fuel pump sending unit is noisey and only putting out 30psi when it should put out 50psi. Ok, now we are getting some where! Cost $524 + .8 hrs labor. I stopped off at Parts Source for the after market price. $113 They suggested only changing the pump, not the sending unit because its the pump that provides the pressure not the sending unit. Hmmmm, so why do they want to replace the whole thing? Lucky for me I have a cousin who is a mechanic so Im going to ask him what he thinks. I might actually get my car back before the weekend after all. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow, interesting indeed! I have a fuel tank air filter coming in tomorrow, they're only $41 and easy to replace but when you're car is at the shop you almost have no choice to have them do it.

I think mine is the pump too, and you're right the whole assembly is expensive but the pump itself is cheap. Although, I found a bunch brand new on ebay for around $275 for the whole thing (pump and sending unit etc.)

My buddy works at Hyundai so I've been getting cheap parts from him but he's on vacation this week, I'm hoping to hold off until next week and getting pricing from him. As an example Kia wanted $108+tax for the coil I replaced and I paid $64 with tax from him, same part number.

Let us know how you make out, if it's only $113 for aftermarket at Part Source that's good, I went to NAPA and they said $699?? weird.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$699, that makes me wonder if Parts Source is looking at the right part, Ill check the Napa dealer in the morning to see what he says

·
Registered
18 Posts
The guy at Napa could be out to lunch since the complete Assembly from the dealer isn't that much.

Here's some ebay links I was looking at:

Delphi FG0789 Fuel Pump Module Modular Assembly | eBay

AUTO 7 INC 402-0255 Electric Fuel Pump | eBay

Kia Parts Website:

http://www.kiapartswebsite.com/OEMParts/kia-132/3/311101D550.html

I'm hoping my buddy will let me test my fuel pressure at his shop tomorrow morning, that would help.

The part number that is on my fuel pump complete assembly for a V6 is 31110-1D550.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Napa here quoted me $479, I bought from Parts Source. Pump is $196 plus a strainer for $15. Thats just the pump, not the module keep in mind. Turns out that you can sepate the two pieces if you only need the pump, way cheaper! The dealer will be fixing my car tomorrow so Ill let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts