Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Kia Rio, only 38k miles on it. Car has run great since I got it. Today I noticed a constant ticking noise coming from the top part of the engine as highlighted in the picture. Thats not my actual car, but it is the same engine. I thought it went away when it warmed up but its present while driving as well. I just had the oil changed and it looks like its overfilled (cant tell, too dark outside atm and no lights, too hard to tell with just a flashlight). Can this cause that noise? I'm going to take it back to the place I got it done and ask them but its driving me crazy as I cant find any solid info online. Any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Swung up to the mechanic today and he assured me its the fuel injectors making the ticking noise and its characteristic of these engines. Its just louder on some then others. Ironically my friends older brother that I havent seen in probably 5 or so years who is a mechanic was in shopping where I work today and just for the heck of it I asked him the same thing about the ticking. As soon as I took him outside to the car and he saw it was a Rio he said yea its common and once he heard it he said its nothing to worry about. I do have an appt in a week or so at the dealer anyways as my heater likes to turn on and off by itself randomly once a month or so so I'll just mention it to them then just for an extra opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes the fuel injectors are a bit noisy. Also another "ticking" noise could be your Purge Control Valve being operated. It is located just under your throttle body. It controls the flow of vapors from the closed canister valve which helps with fuel economy. Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I just had the oil changed and it looks like its overfilled (can't tell, too dark outside atm and no lights, too hard to tell with just a flashlight). Can this cause that noise?
Did you check the oil level?

It can be hard to see the level with fresh oil. You can blot the dip-stick onto a paper towel to get a reading. Testing it cold will make it easier; it will be a little higher than testing it hot & drained.

·
Registered
5 Posts
water sitting on spark plug

i have a 2010 kia soul, i thought the transmission was slipping, but when the shop tested it , they said it had a cyl. 3 miss, so when i went to change the plugs the cyl. 3 plug did look bad, but the cly. 2 had about a inch of yellow water sitting on the plug,????

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
The yellow water is probably from the steel on the plug rusting... A spray cleaning of the engine can cause water in the normally dry spark plug well.. The water usually won't cause problems UNTIL it gets past the rubber boot on the spark plug wire...Then you'll get a misfire o the wet plugs... I'd replace the rusted plug and the wire and be careful of getting water on the engine in the future.
Dave

·
Registered
2009 LX Kia Rio
2 Posts
My 09 Rio has he same ticking noise and its heaps loud when its a cold day or the night before has been cold. It quietens down a little after driving it..

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2008
1 Posts
We have a Kia Rio 2008 and it is making the same ticking sound. At times, quite loud and then it quiets. It sounds like, from your posts and others, this is normal, which I am happy to hear. I am also curious about the heater issue you are having as mine has done that for 4 years and I have been trying to figure it out. I have replaced the heater motor and the relay and no luck. If you have figured yours out, I would love to hear.

·
Registered
'09 Kia Rio sx
28 Posts
I have a heater issue as well

If I knew how to take the trim panels apart without wrecking them, I could actually look at the heater controls while it runs, then I could share what I find out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts