Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Any suggestions please.

I'm playing with a 2007 Kia carnival with the 2.7 petrol engine.

It's been driving well but today it showed an engine light. Returning home pluging in the OBDII meter I get a torque converter failed to start code.

Thought I'd ask the experts if they've had any experience with this code.

A qick search turned up nothing so please help if you can.

Tks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
In my experience with the loaded up electronic transmissions when the battery voltage gets to low they throw codes and shift funny.
Check the battery and alternator.
Other than that I have nothing to offer.
I do not know what would make it throw that fault code.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi all,

Any suggestions please.

I'm playing with a 2007 Kia carnival with the 2.7 petrol engine.

It's been driving well but today it showed an engine light. Returning home pluging in the OBDII meter I get a torque converter failed to start code.

Thought I'd ask the experts if they've had any experience with this code.

A qick search turned up nothing so please help if you can.

Tks in advance.
Post the CODE, along with whatever is displayed in it's entirety.

How many miles?
Do they put SALT, or other corrosive materials on the roads during winter months? (Transmission is electronically controlled.)
Car wrecked?

Are you the original owner? Or did you just recently buy the car?
Do you have service tickets (History) of car?
What does dealer say (INSERT CODE YOU'RE GETTING HER) could be?
Car ever been underwater? (Lots of flood damaged cars out there... I've seen cars that have been in the ocean...)

Post the CODE, along with whatever is displayed in it's entirety.

Check charging system, battery.
Clean grounds in engine compartment.
Clean /check multi plugs to trans etc in engine compartment.
Drive by a trans shop or two.

PS: I had a P1735? Code on a US spec'd 98 Dodge Caravan that indicated something amiss in the trans IIRC. Turned out it was bad solders in the instrument cluster.

Which was totally unrelated to the code that popped up, you'd think...

Oh, when you do find out what the problem is, corresponding "fix"...
Remember to post a detailed FOLLOW-UP POST.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Mileage on the car would help... Have you (or others) changed the tranny fluid EVERY 30k miles... The fluid can become gue and plug up the valve body, solenoids, and torque converters.. What's the color?? It is usually RED and clear..If it's brown and smells "burnt" the fluid is bad.
WeAreNotAlon has some very good ideas also...
Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
Couple of things for the OP.

Post the (complete) model ID of engine and transmission
(There might be a data plate in the engine compartment)
Owners manual might list such as well.
Post production date
Mileage
Service history of trans.
How car has been "used", do you tow a 48ft boat behind the car? EG: Tow heavy stuff?
If car has been wrecked
Flood damaged
Pieces together from 2-3 cars (I've seen it done, seldom does it turn out well)

Not a big deal, but post what part of the world you're in.. I'm assuming you're in Australia? (Certain engine /trans are region specific...)

This info might jog someone's memory, additionally it helps those doing searches at a later date....
(Hey I had one of those transmissions- and the problem was........the fix was...... Here's the part numbers of the parts that fixed the problem)

To the OP, I don't know about you but I like it when I type in a model ID of something into Google, or other search engine and it bring ups posts that pertain to a the EXACT ID string (model /type)... xyz I'm looking for info on!

I bet someone on the net has had the EXACT problem but, ALAS they never posted such details. (or posted a follow-up post).. so you'll probably never find or will spend days finding the info.

* A huge percentage of people don't care if a thread helps someone else, they only care about getting the info they desire.... and don't post a follow-up post detailing what the "fix" was.
(I think it should be a rule- you have to post back a follow-up)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago and it has limited history past 160K
The car has travelled 230000Km
It is the 2.7 motor and box.
CODE p0741 tcc stuck off

The transmission experts can't fault the box and want me to through a heap of $$ at it to "try" things.

Google did not turn up anything when I searched it and this led me to ask the questions here where all the "gurus" hung out.

I'm not one to rush into forums and ask 1000s of Q then vanish and am looking for advise.

I guarantee I will post my solutions as I am also a big believer in sharing my findings.

Since my first post I've cleaned and rested the charging system it is working a-ok.

Other than that I'm still no smarter and no closer to a solution.

Other than that I'm still keen to hear from people.

Tks,

H

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my experience with the loaded up electronic transmissions when the battery voltage gets to low they throw codes and shift funny.
Check the battery and alternator.
Other than that I have nothing to offer.
I do not know what would make it throw that fault code.
Thanks for the tip. I've checked and cleaned. Everything seems normal.

Appreciate the help. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
CEL CODE P0741

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Stuck Off
Possible Cause
● Faulty TCC or oil pressure system
● Faulty TCC solenoid valve
● Faulty body control valve
● Faulty PCM/TCM

* Wiring fault to any of the above.... (Translation I'd check /suspect the wiring as well.)

Tech Tip: Hyundai MIL On with DTCs Set and Fail Safe Mode, Harsh Engagement: Import Car

Q: During the winter months, is SALT put on the roads?
Q: Have you pulled and cleaned ALL electrical connections to/from trans?
Q: What exactly is transmission shop wanting to do?
Q: Have you priced transmission thru mfg DIRECTLY? ... sourcing a rebuilt thru mfg might be cheaper, and/or "better". (In the USA it's about $1,000 for a factory rebuilt thru KIA/HYUNDAI.)

Below thread might have some info...
Q: What symptoms are you having?

BTW: Try to find the data plate /model id of the transmission itself and post it. This info should be in the service manual I would assume... You could also maybe find out this info from your dealer with a phone call. Trans shop would also have it.

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2006-5-magentis-optima/64427-help-check-engine-transmission-code-p0741.html

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a used 2006.5 Kia optima, 2.4L 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. Currently has 93,000 miles.

2 days ago I drove from Ma to Va about 650 miles. Drove excellent and had to be getting at least 30 mpg. No problems in the drive train whatsoever.

But this morning, after about 5 minutes of driving, I was approaching a stop light and the car started to shudder as if it were about to stall out (felt just like a standard transmission car would if you went to stop with it engaged in gear and the clutch out - shuddering and RPM drop)

The light turned green before I had to stop complete, and it took off fine. Never did it again.

Brought it by Autozone and had a code P0741
Torque converter stuck off
--Probable causes:
-open or short circuit condition
-poor electrical connection
-faulty torque converter solenoid

I checked the fluid, it was full. It is a brownish color that it was before I drove across the country. I don't think it is burnt but due to be changed - fluid and filter are original to the car from the factory. Service says to change at 100 or 102k miles but I like to do it sooner to help the trans live longer, but have only had the car about 2 weeks.

Only happened once, has been perfect before and after. Goes right into gear, hot or cold, shifts perfectly smooth, plenty of power, good gas mileage, ect.

Could this just be a fluke or sign of something to come? I'd like to check into some things before having to head back home in a few days (650 miles) for a bit of self assurance.

A lot of the mileage on this car are highway, it has been back and forth from Mass to Florida several times, I bought it from the original owner whom I've known for several years.

Maybe someone else has dealt with this?

Thank you all for any input! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CEL CODE P0741

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Stuck Off
Possible Cause
● Faulty TCC or oil pressure system
● Faulty TCC solenoid valve
● Faulty body control valve
● Faulty PCM/TCM

* Wiring fault to any of the above.... (Translation I'd check /suspect the wiring as well.)

Tech Tip: Hyundai MIL On with DTCs Set and Fail Safe Mode, Harsh Engagement: Import Car

Q: Have you priced transmission thru mfg DIRECTLY? ... sourcing a rebuilt thru mfg might be cheaper, and/or "better". (In the USA it's about $1,000 for a factory rebuilt thru KIA/HYUNDAI.)

Below thread might have some info...
Q: What symptoms are you having?

BTW: Try to find the data plate /model id of the transmission itself and post it. This info should be in the service manual I would assume... You could also maybe find out this info from your dealer with a phone call. Trans shop would also have it.

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2006-5-magentis-optima/64427-help-check-engine-transmission-code-p0741.html
Hi,

The odd thing about all this is it only throughs the code every 2 weeks or so.

Ans to your Qs

No Snow here in Albury so no salt :)

Yes pulled inspected and replaced.
Flush and additive
Q: Have you priced transmission thru mfg DIRECTLY? ... sourcing a rebuilt thru
No not yet. I'm not at the point of replacing the TX I hope :)

I'll keep you posted and hopefully it's a cheap fix!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi ALL,

I have done a fluid change and added a special anti foam stabilizer.

Seems to have fixed the issue.

Will keep you posted.

H

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Yep.. transmission fluid in KIAs need replaced every 30k (miles)...
This gets ignored often...
The tranny in the Spectra is/was a Ford/Mazda design and Ford says the fluid can become thick and turn to thick gunk from its reaction to the internal parts..Changing fluid "usually" solves shifting problems.
Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,

Still got issues.... Seems there is now a Oxygen sensor faulty and the box is what I'd call surging when at cruising speed. No matter which speed 50, 60 or 110 the taco "flairs" 1-2 hundred revs.

Light come back on and both oxygen sensor and torque converter codes appear. I'll be changing the 4 oxygen sensor this weekend and hopefully this'll fix the oxygen sensor issue.

The gearbox still remains a mystery.

I'll top up with an extra litre of oil to c if that fixes it tomorrow.

Any further suggestion please please post them .

Tks,

H

·
Registered
2006 sedona lx
18 Posts
this may seem out there but--- check that air hose that goes between the air filter box and the engine. that stupid thing is susceptible to rot, which causes a vacuum leak. When mine went bad it triggered all sorts of funky obdii codes that had nothing to do with it- including the oxygen sensor codes. Also my engine was "surging" when it went bad.

look for cracks or holes in the hose. as a ghetto fix slap some duct tape over the cracked portions. for a longer term fix you will have to buy a new one from the dealer.

for more information look a few posts down on the message board for a post titled "Air Intake Hose Cracked - CEL on, hesitation, surging"

·
Registered
263 Posts
this may seem out there but--- check that air hose that goes between the air filter box and the engine. that stupid thing is susceptible to rot, which causes a vacuum leak. When mine went bad it triggered all sorts of funky obdii codes that had nothing to do with it- including the oxygen sensor codes. Also my engine was "surging" when it went bad.

look for cracks or holes in the hose. as a ghetto fix slap some duct tape over the cracked portions. for a longer term fix you will have to buy a new one from the dealer.

for more information look a few posts down on the message board for a post titled "Air Intake Hose Cracked - CEL on, hesitation, surging"

Yep... cracked intake hose will cause problems...

I think in the above thread some posters had used some heavy duty high-temp spec silicone hose.... I'd like to see pics of that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like icing on the cake tonight I sprung a water leak!!!

I'm over this car. I'll be dumping back on the car yard I bought it from this week!!

CRANKY!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like icing on the cake tonight I sprung a water leak!!!

I'm over this car. I'll be dumping back on the car yard I bought it from this week!!

CRANKY!!

2007 KIA CARNIVAL
AKA KIA Sedona, Hyundai Entourage in USA.

2.7 Petrol
Transmission= Possibly a "A5H"
Slauson Transmission Parts - Model Search
US Spec'd Sedona= 2006> "A5H " 3.3L V6. 5 Speed. FWD.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago and it has limited history past 160K
The car has travelled 230000Km
It is the 2.7 motor and box.
CODE p0741 tcc stuck off
Seems there is now a Oxygen sensor faulty and the box is what I'd call surging when at cruising speed. No matter which speed 50, 60 or 110 the taco "flairs" 1-2 hundred revs.

Light come back on and both oxygen sensor and torque converter codes appear.

Q: What kind of leak?

Radiator
Hoses
Heater core
Sunroof

??????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

There is a water pipe on the bottom manifold near the fire wall. A pin hole in one of the pipes has appeared!!

Dealer would have been rubbing his hands together when I bought this one...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts