Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
I am REALLY confused, have been looking at getting a KIA sorento but im finding the different trims really confusing. anyone know a link to a good description of differences between the two trims? here im finding both LX and EX sorento's with leather and sunroof and even dual-zone automatic climate etc...from what i can gather, the LX has only the 3.3 V6 and the EX gets a 3.8 V6, is that the only difference? can't seem to find any websites online with decent info....some "reviews" even talk about the 3.3 saying it has 192 HP which we all know is the old 3.5 so.

any help appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine-wise, the 2007 model had the 3.8L engine exclusively. For 2008-09 the LX trim had the 3.3L, and the EX trim had the 3.8L.
Otherwise, this website is accurate for 2007 models (except for the DVD entertainment system, not sure where they are getting that:
2007 Kia Sorento Trim Package Comparisons
This website for 2008 models:
2008 Kia Sorento Trim Package Comparisons
oh that makes a lot of sense, thanks....that would explain why i keep seeing 3.3 and 3.8 used interchangeably for the LX. those websites were helpful but i still wish i could find a more informational site, i don't think the old sorento made even a splash compared to the wave the 2011+ sorento is making so info is scarce unfortunately. Was leather + sunroof an option on both lx and ex? because i see it on both models, anything exclusive to each trim? lastly i don't know if you have direct experience with the sorento but wondering if the 3.8 is that much better than the 3.3, we have a 2007 hyundai santa fe limited with the 3.3 and its not bad at all in the hyundai but the hyundai is like 400 pounds lighter and its also much more aerodynamic and also a crossover.

thanks

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2007 4x4, Mercedes E200 Kompressor 2000
42 Posts
tt101..... From my point of view as a sorento owner, here are the things I would take into consideration:

1- If you are in a hot climate area, stay away from leather. You know how it feels when it is hot and you know how it would look if the leather is either torn.

2- You guys in EU or US like the sunroof, we, in hot area dont. I actually look at it as a potential trouble maker cuz I dont wanna see it leaking.

3- I dont like the EX trim cuz it has that molding that surrounds the car. I just dont like it if I had an accident, I will be looking at fixing the doors, for instance, and buying the molding, and buying the molding would be much more expensive than only fixing and painting the door. I am giving the door as an example only.

4- Enginewise, both the 3.3 and 3.8 are good. I tried both. And they much better than the 3.5 cuz the latter has the timing BELT, in the other two engines it is a chain. That saves you the cost of replacing the timing belt. I would go for the 3.3 in the US as it is a bit more gas saver than the 3.8, I also love the sound of the 3.3 engine, sounds like a 4.7 tundra. To add, in the US you have a speed limit of 70mph, so you dont need the 3.8. In my country, we have no speed limit, so the 3.8 is more enjoyable esp on sand and desert and overtaking...:)

5- Sometimes the EX model's rims are almost or maybe the same as the 2006-below models. They are ugly for me. The other rims of LX seem more beautiful.

6- If you are in a hot climate, I would definitely recommend the EX just for one reason, cuz it has the dual A/C. As Sorento is wagon, you need the dual A/C to cool the whole cabin.

I hope I helped, not made you more confused...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tt101..... From my point of view as a sorento owner, here are the things I would take into consideration:

1- If you are in a hot climate area, stay away from leather. You know how it feels when it is hot and you know how it would look if the leather is either torn.

2- You guys in EU or US like the sunroof, we, in hot area dont. I actually look at it as a potential trouble maker cuz I dont wanna see it leaking.

3- I dont like the EX trim cuz it has that molding that surrounds the car. I just dont like it if I had an accident, I will be looking at fixing the doors, for instance, and buying the molding, and buying the molding would be much more expensive than only fixing and painting the door. I am giving the door as an example only.

4- Enginewise, both the 3.3 and 3.8 are good. I tried both. And they much better than the 3.5 cuz the latter has the timing BELT, in the other two engines it is a chain. That saves you the cost of replacing the timing belt. I would go for the 3.3 in the US as it is a bit more gas saver than the 3.8, I also love the sound of the 3.3 engine, sounds like a 4.7 tundra. To add, in the US you have a speed limit of 70mph, so you dont need the 3.8. In my country, we have no speed limit, so the 3.8 is more enjoyable esp on sand and desert and overtaking...:)

5- Sometimes the EX model's rims are almost or maybe the same as the 2006-below models. They are ugly for me. The other rims of LX seem more beautiful.

6- If you are in a hot climate, I would definitely recommend the EX just for one reason, cuz it has the dual A/C. As Sorento is wagon, you need the dual A/C to cool the whole cabin.

I hope I helped, not made you more confused...
I will reply to each of your points individually:

1, I live in Canada....so bring on the leather heated seats lol. living in such a cold harsh climate, I don't think I would be very happy without the heated seats although, fabric still heats up the old fashioned way a lot faster hahaha.

2, I have a sunroof on my current vehicle and to be honest I barely use it, if ever....but I still like having it. Any car with a sunroof has the chance of leaking but in my opinion it is a very tiny percentage although it is more prevalent in certain vehicles.

3, I was checking the local for sale sorento's and of course, both lx and ex come with and without the molding....really quite strange.

4, Personally I don't think that the 3.3 would be that much better than the 3.8 on fuel economy and I also value how fun a car is to drive more than fuel economy and I personally would always buy the bigger engine option....and on the note of engines, its so ironic how the sorento dropped the 3.5 and then got is back and now dropped the 3.5 again for a 3.3...wonder what's next lol. my aunt has a 2011 sorento with the 3.5 V6 and let me tell you, that thing is EXTREMELY fun to drive. I appreciate the tip about the chain, I had no clue.

5, never realized a difference with the rims, i'll be sure to pay attention to that

6, despite the sub-zero winters, we can sometimes get quite hot summers so AC and especially dual zone AC is a must, I always find myself getting hotter and colder than other passengers hahaha.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! you were very helpful and I especially appreciate your take on LX vs EX and also the different options.

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
153 Posts
".....To add, in the US you have a speed limit of 70mph, so you dont need the 3.8. In my country, we have no speed limit, so the 3.8 is more enjoyable esp on sand and desert and overtaking...

in my current state there are sections of Interstate Highway where the speed limit has recently been raised to 80 mph. speed limits in my home state were "reasonable and prudent" until that was deemed too vague. my other vehicles are much better suited for such driving than my 3.3 L Sorento :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts