Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I purchased my 57 plate sorrento from a dealer in September 2011. After 3 days I reported 2 problems. 1 was that it was missing and juddering when accelerating, which was resolved by changing the fuel filter.

The second problem still hasnt been resolived after going back and forth from various different garages within the group. I noticed it whilst driving back from picking it up. I was on the motorway doing aboout 75-80 mph and over the noise of the radio and road noise, I could hear a high pitched noise. If I took my foot off of the accelerator the noise would stop, and when it put my foot back on it would start, but I would have to be very precise with the revs to replicate the noise. Ive noticed it happens at about 40-45mph, 60mph and about 80mph at about 1.5-2k revs.

Over the last 2 weeks, weve noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust when we start the car up for about 10-20 seconds, and the 1 time I reved the engine, a lot of black smoke came out and it has stained the drive.

Last weekend I checked the oil level and it was low. I put about 3ltrs of oil and 1 week later, the oil level has dropped to low again. There is no sign of any oil leaks.

Does this sound like a turbo problem? The dealer has so far insisted the turbo is fine.

Another problem is when accelerating, it feels the gearbox is thumping into gear.

I filled the car up (£100) and we got about 280 miles out of it. Is this normal?

Sorry for the long winded post, but the car is booked into go back to the garage next month, and I want them to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Could be any number of things. Yes the whine could be turbo whistle, which can be normal in some cars - some people actually like it! Or it could be diff whine, or gearbox or transfer case. The engine could be burning oil via a number of ways. Sometimes an engine appears to burn oil because a hard drive (like yours) will boil off contaminants giving the impression of sudden oil consumption. White smoke on startup with a diesel is usually unburned fuel. Check your glow plugs. If you think the oil is going through the turbo seals, pull off an inter cooler hose and check for oil. There will always be some but it shouldn't pour out. Fuel consumption seems a bit steep but not if you regularly do 80mph on the expressway.

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
2,007 Posts
I filled the car up (£100) and we got about 280 miles out of it. Is this normal?
No, not normal .... even at a regular 80mph! (not that I could swear to that, since 80mph is illegal ....... )

For the rest seems like you may have multiple issues. You don't say if manual or auto? For others reading, '57 Plate' is UK designation, but 'EX' is not UK model. XE?? If XE, it has EST, so not a TOD related problem.

There was a turbo related recall around '57' - some just require software upgrade to prevent turbo overspeed. Others (after oil pressure check iirc) need more serious work including checking/replacing sump oil pickup (potentially clogged with debris).

As stated, there will always be some oil in intercooler hose. Don't be surprised if you see oil seeping from turbo side joint at intercooler. Some of these have suffered degredation and allow oil to seep out. Mine replaced under warranty (also a '57' plate)

Another recall around that time required replacement of injector clamp bolts due to incorrect torquing at factory. Dealer replacement bolts typically had a white dot on head for ident. (failure could result in injector through engine cover).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Another recall around that time required replacement of injector clamp bolts due to incorrect torquing at factory. Dealer replacement bolts typically had a white dot on head for ident. (failure could result in injector through engine cover).
Quite a few of those cars made it to Australia and this has happened to some of them. I imagine that is not so hard to believe, all RHD cars are probably built in the same (limited) production runs.

280 miles ~ 450 Km - Hmm even my 3.5 V6 model does better than this. (Usually get 500 - 600)

I've got a Kia Sportage with a diff whine that comes in at 85Km/hr and disappears at 95. It's not loud, but is noticeable, and has not changed in the last 12 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
515 Posts
No they are not, looks like a leaky rocker cover seal. I'm surprised you can't smell that when the car is hot. I guess it could also be leaking diesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts