Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
07 Kia Sorento 3.8 V6 Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 2007 3.8V6 Auto with 120 000km on the clock. The VIN Number is KNAJC526875696494. Last week I took the vehicle to Kia for its 120 000km service and also asked them to listen to the strange engine noise it has developed - sounds like a loose plate rattling inside the engine.

Kia phoned me and said that the noise is actually the timing chain that broke. Excuse me? As far as my knowlwedge goes if a timing chain breaks the car won't go anywhere :confused:.... or is it possible?

Now, a week later Kia still cannot confirm what the problem is. They cannot tell me what needs fixing. All they say is that spares are most likely not available in South Africa and has to be shipped in from Korea which will take about 21 working days.

Some time ago on the internet I read that this engine is actually a Ford engine that Kia used and if that is the case then I am sure I can find spares far quicker from Ford than Kia Korea. Can somebody please confirm this?

Regards
Grumpy SA

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
My understanding is that Kia and Ford co-engineered some components. This does not mean it's something you can grab out of a ford and throw into your Kia.

As far as them telling you the timing chain broke, if it's like a bike chain, it may have dropped a 1/2 link, but still function, although be looser. If it's completely broken apart, it won't run. It sounds like you need to take it to another garage for a second opinion.

Hate to say it, but if your kia dealer doesn't stock parts, you're in for a long wait from what I've seen around the forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts