Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my truck today and when I turned the key, for a half-second it sounded like normal and then something let loose right with a thud before it was about to start. I tried to crank it again and it just didn't sound right.. almost like parts of the engine weren't in operation (like the cams aren't being spun?). The timbre of the engine changed is as best as I can describe it. This is NOT a bad starter, it's totally different engine sound that I've not heard in any of my previously owned vehicles. That "chugitty chugitty" sound of an engine cranking is completely missing.

I'm at 65000 miles and outdoor temps are getting cold. It ran fine since I bought it in 2007, last driven the night before. I've been meaning to get it in for the belt replacement soon but I think it beat me to the punch. I take good care of her, I just have been underemployed and trying to keep the house and feed the family...a $900 service bill was something I was trying to put off until taxes come back. Damn.

Am I right or could it be something else? I have heard stories of how those belts just go catastrophically and sometimes with engine-damaging results. I'm hoping my engine is fine. Luckily I wasn't driving it or had it running when this occurred.

Thanks all

·
Registered
34 Posts
pull a few bolts out on the plastic cover on the drivers side and see if you can get a peek at the belt. push on the belt and check for tension and that may answer your question about the belt. In any case I would get it towed to a mechanic when you get around to it unless you really want to dive into it yourself. If the belt does in fact look fine then there could be something else wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea. I suppose if the belt is snapped I should be able to see/feel it. Any diagrams/pics that may help me? What do I have to remove to get to the cover? Thanks

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
The cover on the driver side will come off after removing I think three small 10 mm bolts. Check the tension on the belt. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CRANK THE ENGINE ANYMORE. These are interference engines and the pistons will hit the valves.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the diagram. I have not attempted to start the engine since the first time because I knew about the possibility of the pistons slapping the valves after a belt failure. I'll inform the mechanic so no further damage occurs.

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
SparkyHT, you do not state if it is petrol or diesel, If its petrol you may be able to put a new belt on, if its its diesel it would have damaged the valves and could go on from there. Did the engine turn over more freely than normal if so its a broken belt or all the teeth are missing in one section
If you are going to touch the timing belt wear rubber gloves for the biggest failure with belts is sweat from your hands.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
SparkyHT, you do not state if it is petrol or diesel, If its petrol you may be able to put a new belt on, if its its diesel it would have damaged the valves and could go on from there.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CRANK THE ENGINE ANYMORE. These are interference engines and the pistons will hit the valves.
There is no IF on these interference engines. They will hit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Know what, I totally assumed the worst here and fortunately I was wrong. Turns out the runner bushings on the intake manifold were rotted and caused a bad VAC leak. Mechanic said the computer was dumping fuel into the engine and causing it to flood. He was able to start it after the flood was remedied and recommended that the offending part be replaced. He specializes in Mitsubishi and Kia and knows the 3.5 engine inside and out so my baby is in good hands. Should be up and running by the end of tomorrow.

He also examined the timing belt and said it was in great condition, so that's a relief.

Apologize for the freakout. Never heard my Kia not start before and I just jumped to the worst case scenario. Thanks for all your help and concern!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Glad to hear it. :460: :banana:

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
If was a diesel there wouldn't be a belt issue. The 2.5 diesel like the later V6's uses a chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts