Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Sportage v6 awd, it has 115,000 km on it, I was told the timing belt should be changed at 100k, Is this right?

I am shopping for a new car and wanting to put off this repair. Just wondering if I am driving on borrowed time and if there are any symptoms or warning signs about the timing belt?

·
Registered
2005 Sportage EX V6 Auto FWD
64 Posts
The timing belt needs to changed at 60K so you are really on borrowed time. No warning signs I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to clarify... I think its supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles. Which is around 96,000 km. So ya might wanna look at getting it changed soon! Better to spend a couple hundred to change the belt than a couple thousand to fix the motor.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,116 Posts
Borrowed time for sure. Some members have reported it going at less than 60K miles......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, not the greatest news. But I feel the urgency now. Finding out about a new car tomorrow, if it doesn't pan out I will go ahead with the repair ASAP.

Thanks

Yes, the car has 115,000 km, I think thT is about 70k miles.

·
Registered
Kia sportage 2005
16 Posts
I know this is an older thread but for future browsing members:
I got mine (new to me, 9years old) done at 95K-never been changed, and the belt could easily last another 20K.
Thats a risk your willing to take, but I have done three timing belts from my Hondas before and the recommended intervals are way too early.
But ofcourse, you have to do it to keep your warranted. Id safely assumed at 100-120K is ought to be replaced-if you got a good brand like Gates belt.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
Cost of the belt vs cost of an engine. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
The intervals for changing timing belts are different for different makes, so I thought.

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
The intervals for changing timing belts are different for different makes, so I thought.
Exactly. And not even between makers, but between engines themselves.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage LX V6 4WD, 2011 Mack GU813 405M
62 Posts
Damn i miss the days of timing CHAINS...or better yet, gears....noisy yes, but also bullet proof.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cost of the belt vs cost of an engine. The choice is yours.
Agreed!
Replacing the timing belt every 100,000 kms is cheaper than replacing the motor. I believe my owners manual for my 2006 Sportage 4 cylinder recommends replacing every 80,000 kms (60,000 miles approx.).

·
Registered
08 Sportage, 89 Jeep Comanche
17 Posts
I miss the days of non-interference engines where there was no engine damage if the timing chain slipped or the teeth wore off the camshaft gear. I experienced both in the past a couple of times. My 2008 Sportage is out of warranty and past 96,000 km so it is something I am thinking about. I did have a Dodge Ram 50 with a Mitsubishi diesel that I drove 120,000 km before I changed the belt the first time and over 240,000 before the second belt. Both belts looked like new when I changed them.

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
^ I own 3 newer Mazda's, and non of them have interference heads. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts