Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a transmission ATF level question for a 2006 kia spectra5. The dipstick on the automatic transmission indicated a severe over fill condition on ATF fluid (probably 2 quarts+ over filled) before I attempted to drain and refill. The fluid was due for a change so I drained it by removing the large (24mm) drain plug in the bottom of the transmission pan and the small (12MM) drain plug at the bottom of the diff. Total fluid drained was approximately 5 quarts. Refilling with 4 quarts still indicates a severe over fill condition on the dip stick when hot after driving about 10 miles. This car was bought used and I am beginning to think someone swapped the dipstick with the wrong one. The dipstick appears long enough to extend to within 1/4" or less of the bottom of the transmission pan. The cold low fluid mark on the dipstick is only about 1/4" from the end of the stick and the cold high mark is about 1/8" above this. If this is right, the transmission would only have approximately 1/2" of fluid or less in the transmission when full. I cannot believe this is right. The book ATF fluid quantities indicate it should take 6.5 quarts. The dipstick levels do not seem to be even close to this as with 4 quarts installed after draining it indicates over 1 quart overfilled. What should be the length of the dipstick and/ how high up in the transmission case should the fluid be when hot? Levels were checked when hot on level ground. The engine oil also indicated an overfilled condition by about 1 quart when parked on level ground.

· Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
Draining the diff. doesn't sound right.

Can't help you on the ATF issue. Are you following any instructions or the service manual? On some autos you check the ATF level with the engine running in "Park".

You should check the engine oil level; 1 quart over won't be good for it. Drain and refill with the correct amount of engine oil if you aren't confident about the dip-stick being genuine.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Draining the diff. doesn't sound right.

Can't help you on the ATF issue. Are you following any instructions or the service manual? On some autos you check the ATF level with the engine running in "Park".

You should check the engine oil level; 1 quart over won't be good for it. Drain and refill with the correct amount of engine oil if you aren't confident about the dip-stick being genuine.
The total quantity of AFT fluid drained was about 5 quarts. As I noted according to the book (service manual) the total quantity should be about 6.5 quarts. The transmission dipstick indicated a severe overfill condition (over 2 quarts overfill) before draining. After refilling with just 4 quarts it still indicates on the dipstick a severe overfill condition. This is why I suspect the wrong dipstick. As noted the levels were checked hot, engine running and the transmission was in park.

And yes I did drain off a quart of engine oil to correct this issue. The car oil had been changed at a quick lube joint and I suspect they have been overfilling so that the owner did not need to add between oil changes. VERY DUMB!

I really need to have someone with a 2006 kia spectra5 that can tell me the length of the correct dipstick or that knows how far up inside of the transmission the fluid should be when it is correctly filled. Thanks.

· Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
Yes, I did read your original post and understand your problem. I think you need detailed instructions on draining and refilling. Remember, it may not all drain out directly.

Glad you got the engine oil sorted.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I did read your original post and understand your problem. I think you need detailed instructions on draining and refilling. Remember, it may not all drain out directly.

Glad you got the engine oil sorted.
I have detailed instructions for draining and refilling but as noted when drained it contained 5 quarts but before doing any service work it indicated a severe overfill condition on the dipstick. The dipstick extends to within 1/4" or less of the bottom of the pan. If the stick is right the cold level would only have about 1/2" of fluid in the pan. That would not be anywhere close to 6 quarts of ATF. This is why I suspect that the wrong dipstick has been used.

· Registered
2008 Rio LX, 2007 Honda Shadow (Bike)
69 Posts
Even after draining from the pan you will still have oil in the cooler and the lines. When I do a fluid exchange I pull the return cooler line and let the transmission pump the fluid out, the run 3 or 4 fresh quarts through it. I have done this on the 06 and i can tell you that on any car you will have a certain amount of fluid left in the system no matter where you drain. Why not drain and add fluid until the dipstick registers full then test drive? I would think its unlikely someone has swapped dipsticks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.