Kia Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
3 Posts
Does a 2006 Kia Rio have the same transmission as the Spectra? I have a 2006 Rio with a P0745 code for Pressure Solenoid A electrical problem. The car seems to have a lot of the same symptoms as several of these threads. I used scan tool to check and car is in limp mode(3 rd gear). Very sluggish starting off and had several times where car would not engage at all.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
You said..." Very sluggish starting off and had several times where car would not engage at all."
First thing that comes to my mind is.... what's the mileage on the car and was the transmission ever changed? The older cars required a drain and refill of the transmission EVERY 30k miles... Failure to do so will result in a build up of sludge within it... This would cause the valve body to get blocked and poor performance (if any) with lots of stored codes... It may be too late now but I would suggest you try draining the transmission and refill with "Diamond III" type fluid and a bottle of "Lucas Transfix" ...If it improves then in a couple hundred miles drain and repeat...
Sluggage shifting and poor/no movement points to this...
Dave

·
Registered
spectra ex 2004
15 Posts
RIO trans

I would listen to what Dave Spectra is saying , he helped with my 2004 spectra, which by the way I don't think is the same problem I had, I didn't have any codes and mine ran fine after it warmed up. Still running good 40,000 miles latter at 160,000. change that transmission oil every 30000, they need it.
Thanks again Dave Spectra and good luck on the RIO

Squirrel

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
3 Posts
You said..." Very sluggish starting off and had several times where car would not engage at all."
First thing that comes to my mind is.... what's the mileage on the car and was the transmission ever changed? The older cars required a drain and refill of the transmission EVERY 30k miles... Failure to do so will result in a build up of sludge within it... This would cause the valve body to get blocked and poor performance (if any) with lots of stored codes... It may be too late now but I would suggest you try draining the transmission and refill with "Diamond III" type fluid and a bottle of "Lucas Transfix" ...If it improves then in a couple hundred miles drain and repeat...
Sluggage shifting and poor/no movement points to this...
Dave
When I say very sluggish, it is starting in 3rd gear.
Pulled codes:
P0743 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P0775 - Pressure Control Solenoid B

Vehicle has just over 150K on it. The fluid as been changed before, although not every 30K. I just changed the fluid and filter and the fluid still looked ok, although I know that is what they all say.. :)
I was curious if the harness could be the issue since the P0743 is electrical.
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio
3 Posts
I changed the fluid again and added the Lucas Trans fix. Problem seemed to be fixed until today. Went into limp mode again and codes P0743, P0745.

Are there any schematics for the electrical system for the transmission solenoids?
This problem is really taking me for a spin.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra, 2015 Kia Sorento
1 Posts
The info in this thread is excellent. I had this problem last year, so I watched the YouTube video and told my transmission mechanic about it. I needed the repair fast, and I don't have a good place to work so I chose to pay him instead. He said the info helped him a lot. Without it he may have suggested a re-build. He charged about $600 to install a new harness. But now exactly one year later, I have the same problem again. I'm so busy, I don't think I want to tackle this project myself. But this time I will probably tell him to give me the harness so I can re-solder it and give it back to him.

This should not be happening with these harnesses. Has anyone heard of a recall or class action lawsuit related to this? Kia obviously must know about it because this is such a common problem. They are the ones who should be paying for these crappy solder joints (actually a poorly designed harness configuration). Has anyone here spoken directly to Kia about this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
OmarDragoon, just watched your video on YouTube. Very good and very precise video you made when you did your repair! Excellent video for anyone who may need to try and get their Spectra tranny back to normal shifting again.
I am very happy you were able to get your tranny back to perfect, and save some massive amounts of money by using your own "backyard" mechanical skills. You Da MAN !!!
My wife's Spectra is still shifting absolutely perfect, and has 1287 miles on it since I repaired it. Also has not leaked even one drop of fluid. Permatex is absolutely great stuff!
Congrats man...now drive your car forever! May God bless you...

Old Bob
Old Bob
Thank You OmarDragoon for the video...It WILL encourage others to attempt this repair.
Looks like you have a 2004.5~2005 Spectra..
This thread keeps getting better and better :)
Your video is pretty good and will remove some fears of doing the job by the driveway mechanics... It also could be used to show transmission techs what has failed and how to fix it..

kia-forums and it's members keeps supporting their readers even if KGIS won't..
Shame on on KIA and KGIS for going after PROFIT...Many posters here bought their KIAs BECAUSE of the wonderful FREE support...Now it's gone...
Dave
Old Bob or DaveSpectra or other: (First post for me - I can here to find these repair instructions. :))

I'm in the process of doing this repair for my son's Spectra. About 2/3 done. Got the soldering job done tonight after disassembling earlier today. So about to reassemble... BUT... There is a stray oring laying around which I suspect belongs to the black, plastic plunger that connects to the shift rod. (it fell out when i turned over the assembly with the solenoids on it)... In fact you can see the exact oring in question in the video repair here:

I would be very appreciative if someone could educate me on where to put that oring so I don't screw that up after all of this hard work.

Thanks for the great thread and that youtube! Amazingly better than paying $2500 to Kia or a transmission shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Btw, I figured out the answer to my question above. The video referenced shows where the orings go at a couple of other points. If of interest I replied on the video with the specifics. Gracias, all. I'll update here when I've finished the job and tested it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally was able to get back to this after dealing with a death in the family and labor day time with the family. Finished the job, test drove it after warming it up for about an hour at a mix of speeds. Historically would have manifested the issue long before the hour was done. So far so good. Crossing fingers. Big thank you to all who contributed to documenting this fix, especially that youtube video. Super helpful and assuming a successful fix has save me a lot of money. The dealer wanted to just replace the transmission for $2500. :(

Big boo on Kia for their poor workmanship and not dealing with their quality control issues in an honorable way. I've always been a honda and toyota guy and thought I'd take a chance on the Kia. They have not helped their cause with this nonsense.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts