Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife's car started having a transmission issue a month or so back. What it does is turn the check engine light on and not shift into high gear on the highway and with occasional bucking from a dead stop. The shop said the error code indicated either the solenoid or the wiring harness. So they ordered the two parts and said about $500 would take care of it. Come to find out the parts they ordered were for 90% of the 06 Spectra's but not ours. Ours has a bank of solenoids in one unit and a completely different harness. The kicker is that the techs can't figure out what is causing the issue and say that we can try the different parts for around $1100 but its not a guaranteed fix. They said fluid looks great and the transmission itself looks fine internally. Ohm meter test of the harness looks good and a meter on the solenoid looks as good as it can without the solenoid operating.

I've read around a bit and see various solutions but so far none of those seem to work. ie flush and fill or cleaning the electrical wiring. The car runs great until it hoses up. So my question is does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? We just got it back today so will see what the next few days brings but I'm guessing the problem will come back. Oh and shutting the car off seems to fix the problem for a day or so. Really in the weeks that this has gone on the problem has reared up maybe half a dozen times and the car is moving several times a day pretty much every day. However up until we took it into the shop the problem was occurring more often.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Hello and welcome to kia-forums!
First...be thankful it IS a KIA Spectra..engines and transmissions are plentiful and very reasonable in cost(s)... I have found some (transmissions) for other posters for around $400 with only 30~40k miles on them at "car-part.com" and on "ebay.com"... Your answer may be just replacing it and be done with it.

I remember that there was a thread about an internal flexible pc board and about the bad soldering (crystallized solder connections under a black epoxy like substance) where this pc board connects to the connector that leaves the transmission's side.... Something to check. The poster said resoldering them cured all his intermittent problems...

As far as the transmission not matching 90% of the 2006 Spectras...That is possible! KIA did a new model change over from 2006~2007 and you may have one of the "newer" transmissions if your car was made during this period.
You might want to get the part# off of the ID tag on the tranny and pm Cobra259 here on these forums. He is a parts manager at a KIA Dealership in MI.

If you have the time read through the past threads as there is a wealth of information there...

Read posts from tt2jzgtes...He lives in the Wash DC area . His first one also had tranny problems and he's so satisfied with the repair (donor tranny) he is looking to buy another "wounded" Spectra...

Just don't give up on your Spec...there are answers...
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've poked around the forum for a while and didn't really see anything that fit or worked which is why I finally just asked. Every scenario is slightly different and has a slightly different fix that hasn't worked for us yet.

I will say bad solder sounds like a very reasonable thing to look into. Will definitely look into the rest as well after I check the solder out. The shop did say the error code definitely pointed at an electrical problem. Makes a lot of sense to me lets hope that is the issue. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I forgot to mention is that the weather here has been crazy with changes. We'll have 10 degrees one day and three days later 40 or 50 so I know rapid changes can have an affect too.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
You must have a Spectra mfd in 11/2006...
There are TWO different ones...One with a side pan the other a bottom pan.
I "see" you are in Springfield, Il ....Been there once when doing work for a company that installed electronics for Aspen Dental.. Very pretty area..You are about the same latitude as Columbus, Oh... I'm a little farther north and yes the weather has been "different" 18" of snow then 55F a week later... I'm ready for some warm weather.

The flexable pcb was located inside the tranny and it took some dis-assembly to get at it if I remember the post.

Was just looking for a tranny for tt2jzgtes found one with 5k miles on it for $450 (your type)...They can be a real "steal" compared to Mazda/Toyota/Honda parts.
Here's hoping..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
yeah i have the same issue with my spectra but my Cell light indicates that my tourqe converter is not functioning right and when i did a quick google search and found this site i was almost certain that the problem is the trans itself so i just replaced it. i purchased a used trans from a local salvage yard for $450.00 with 32k and installed it myself took me about 2 days only because i decided to just pull the motor and trans out together. from what i have been reading kia/mazda trans are similar. i have my old trans in my sisters house i can pull it apart and take pics of the board Dave is talking about to you can see how to take it out and re-solder it properly.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
There IS a "sticky" with pictures and also the directions on how to tear down and re-assemble the tranny.. It's located at the TOP of the Cerato/Spectra area...
I thought it was important enough to "stick' it and I'm seeing enough "new" Spectra tranny issues SO so it WAS worth while to post and read...
Thanks to ALL that make these forums SO IMPORTANT around the globe!
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohhh, I thought by first description it was on the outside, inside the tranny is a bit challenging for me personally. What I will do though is hang on to this tidbit and if it starts acting up again will take the info to the shop. May also call them and see if they looked at the soldering, but if its covered with epoxy they likely did not.

So far the thing runs great...should let the wife drive it, she manages to make it fail easily ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bit more info. Drove it to work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week and had no issues. Wife had it out yesterday and it started acting up again. I drove it after dark and even though the check engine light was on, had no issues.

Today I bring it to work. No problem on the way in. Go to the ATM and fast food drive through for lunch with no issues. Turn out of food place to sit at a stop sign waiting for traffic. Either during my acceleration into the turn or just after it lurches a bit and gets stuck in gear. Got back to work and parked it for 10 or so minutes and went back out and started it back up for a trip around the block. Same problem. Shutting it off for a time did not help.

Feels almost like second but its hard to tell. Revs a bit on acceleration from stop, maybe up to 2k rpm. At 50 MPH its running at 3k. Not shifting at all. Can move the shifter from L up to D and it stays in the exact same gear. Goes into reverse fine just sticks in one gear going forward.

Not sure if that helps to narrow things down at all but at least I've now had the problem happen to me and can describe it.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo fwd
7 Posts
Transmission problems

Lordxar,
My girlfriends 2006 Kia spectra ran into a similar problem on a road trip last year. The car worked fine at low speeds, but refused to shift into 3rd/4th gear. I opened up the hood and something had chewed up the wiring harness from the speed sensor.

I spliced in some replacement wires and the problem went away. However, yesterday the transmission started acting exactly as you describe in your last message. The car will rev up a little bit from a stop.. at 50mph it runs at about 3k rpm. I'm assuming that's 3rd gear.. dunno. It shifts really hard into reverse.. and occasionally seems to work from a stop.. for only a moment.. then one loud shift and seems to be stuck in 3rd again.

I was assuming that one of my connections came loose.. but it all looks good, haven't tested all of the connections yet.

What ended up being the cause of your problem?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo fwd
7 Posts
Er, I was just a tiny bit vague in my assessment: I believe the transmission is stuck in third gear most of the time, from a stop all the way up to 55mph.
If it does shift at all, it does so somewhat violently.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
steve4king...
I don't see any posts on what engine (transmission) codes stored in the ECM or TCM...
Have AutoZone/Advance/O'Reillys do a free OBDII scan and post the error codes here....

I just worked on a Suzuki with problems similar to yours and it was the "range selection switch" located on the transmission that was confusing the TCM (transmission control module)...
Very hard shifting when it did shift and stuck in "safe mode" (3rd gear) most of the time...

The Spectra does have this type of arrangement and the switch is on the top of the transmission... You can see it move on the transmission when the transmission lever (P/R/N/D/1/2/3) inside the car is moved...

I would also suggest that you read through this "sticky"
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-cerato-shuma-spectra-forum/77522-kia-spectra-shifting-problems.html
This may give you and your transmission guy some clues on where to look....

A very common thing missed is that the transmission fluid is supposed to be drained and refilled EVERY 30k miles... Failure to do so will result in problems similar to yours also...
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, My girlfriend owns a 06 Spectra that is having similar issues. The OBD is throwing a po748, and a po700 (just a general warning that there are transmission issues). I have narrowed the problem down to a bad transmission wiring harness, as the code po748 is an electrical code by in its nature. I went to Kia and got the correct OEM part, and am now having issues finding the darn thing. I have the bottom of the transmission pan out, and see none of the 7 connectors (one main and six smaller). I have looked at many wiring diagrams, but it's fairly difficult to figure which side is top and bottom. The Kia parts guy told me it was "around" the valve body, so i guess i am asking if anyone has pictures of where exactly it is. I would like to avoid removing and replacing gaskets if at all possible, since im not sure i need to in the first place. Thanks guys and gals for any help, I appreciate any words of wisdom.
Kind regards, The Shade Tree Mechanic :)

·
Registered
08 Kia Spectra5
3 Posts
Hi, My girlfriend owns a 06 Spectra that is having similar issues. The OBD is throwing a po748, and a po700 (just a general warning that there are transmission issues). I have narrowed the problem down to a bad transmission wiring harness, as the code po748 is an electrical code by in its nature. I went to Kia and got the correct OEM part, and am now having issues finding the darn thing. I have the bottom of the transmission pan out, and see none of the 7 connectors (one main and six smaller). I have looked at many wiring diagrams, but it's fairly difficult to figure which side is top and bottom. The Kia parts guy told me it was "around" the valve body, so i guess i am asking if anyone has pictures of where exactly it is. I would like to avoid removing and replacing gaskets if at all possible, since im not sure i need to in the first place. Thanks guys and gals for any help, I appreciate any words of wisdom.
Kind regards, The Shade Tree Mechanic :)
By "around" I think he meant on top of. There is where it is on mine (I believe). This video shows how to access:

I don't have enough posts on this forum yet, so go to you tube and paste the following in the search field: URUT3t8uUCw

(also found in post #18 of a "sticky" post on this forum. Title: 2006 Spectra with p0750,p0765,p0755,p0760,p0743

1 - 15 of 15 Posts