Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my girlfriends car has had two transmission replacements but this time it is out of warranty. It has 138k on the clock and I believe the second transmission was done at 80k.. She doesn't drive the car hard.. I'm going to drop the pan and fill with new fluid.. This problem only happens when the car is at operating temp.. Also right before I know the car is about to shift from second to third if I let off the gas and let the car shift it will go into third perfectly fine, if I give the car any gas when its about to shift into third it slams ... This has been going on for 6 months and has been getting worse. At the beginning it was just a slight bang now its practically neck breaking.. I'm thinking it could possibly be a solenoid? No lights on the dash. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Hi gtpimp024...
As I have posted my SX has much lower mileage than yours (just 40k).
I know nothing about your car's past history other than what you have posted here.
Like why the first tranny failed and if the second was a one from a donor car or rebuilt from a quality tranny rebuilder...
The transmission and engine controllers talk to each other and make decisions based on that data shared... If the engine is not running well (no codes stored) it WILL effect how the transmission works...

I had a bad ABS sensor on the right rear wheel (damaged when I was working on the rear suspension)... It caused the transmission to shift very strangely and the cruse control to be inoperational... When the sensor was replaced all the tranny problems to go away...

The engine can/will cause what seems to be transmission problems if the ECM (engine control module) senses things wrong with mis-fires, timing problems, emmision problems, plugged catalitic converters...etc...

Can you get/post the stored OBDII codes here? AutoZone and Advance will "pull" the codes for free...DON'T let them clear them UNTIL you find the problem(s).

Small things like worn out spark plugs can cause problems like you have posted.

These transmissions have been very reliable "if" the fluids are drained and refilled every 30k miles. There are posts about these (Spectras) cars going 300k+ with the original engine and trannys... What the killer is ..is the timing belt not being replaced every 60k miles (or 5yrs)..you should be over due for the second timing belt...
If the belt looses teeth or breaks the engine WILL be trashed...If it jumps a few teeth the timing will be off and the engine will run poorly and tranny will also shift poorly.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will pull the codes this evening.. I'm sure the car is due for a tune up and a new timing belt.. I pulled about 4qts of tranny fluid out and replaced it shortly after I noticed the shifts from 2-3 weren't as hard as they were before.. The fluid that I took out was dark but not black and didn't smell burnt.. Also one thing I noticed is the cruise control randomly disengages itself at times?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE-- I replaced the plugs, the car accelerates better than before. The 'jerk' shift from 2-3 seems to be quicker now but it is still a very hard banging shift. I have a basic ODBII scanner and it read zero codes. I poured about 6 ounces of seafoam in the gas tank as well..

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Hello Again...
You might want to check out this full thread...
http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-1998-2001-sephia/76263-2000-sephia-blinkin-o-d-light.html
Jes had some pretty bad transmission problems in his earlier Sephia (became Spectra). The fluid should not have been a darker color in 60k miles (on the tranny)...Was it a rebuilt or just pulled from a donor car? These are based upon a Ford/Mazda design and the ones in the 04.5 years and up have been pretty durable.. Jes also used a product called "SEAFOAM Trans Tune" and ran it through a cleaning cycle where he put some miles on it and again replaced the fluid. Be careful on the brand of tranny fluid you use also.. Valvoline Maxlife transmission fluid is a type III (3) that has received good marks here on these forums..
Yes plugs can make quite a difference in this engine... NGK or Denso are the best for this design...Bosch can be problem-matic because their multi tip design can cause "noise" that the ECM reads as misfiring.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but I have 05 kia spectra that is doing the same thing. I was wondering if you found a fix to the problem. No codes and all the fuel trims and oxygen sensors show they are working correct.

The thing that gets me is I can manually shift it and sometimes it won't slam into 3rd. But when it does it makes your head move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts